CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: How often have you used 'goto' in the last 5 years?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use goto regularly.

3 2.70%
  • I use goto occasionally.

8 7.21%
  • I've used goto VERY occasionally.

34 30.63%
  • I've never used goto at all.

66 59.46%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

The grand 'goto' poll

Okay - it's not very grand at all but here goes - the purists among us would prefer a world without 'goto'. The pragmatists among us think that it's 'sometimes' the right tool for the job, so let's have a vote.

How often have you used 'goto' in the last 5 years or so? Be honest - this is an anonymous poll so no-one needs to be embarrassed or fear for their reputation...! It's just a survey. No-one will get hung!

I think once
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

A request for anyone voting that they use goto regularly in a C++ program:

Please tell us the name of your software product(s) where you have used goto regularly.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Originally posted by Paul McKenzie

Please tell us the name of your software product(s) where you have used goto regularly.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    I use goto regularly when programming in C (for cleanup). I have probably also used it in C++, but the product I'm working with, is mostly written in C. It's a Windows security product (PKI), running on WinNT/2000/XP clients. The name is RSA Keon Desktop or TFS Desktop.

/Jonas

Just as a side note. I performed a search on my entire VC++.NET directory for goto and it returned 2287 hits.

TDM

I hate them. I support code that uses them to perform loops. It's very confusing to follow.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    I also use goto for cleanup. In my case I implement both cleaning up and error checking via a #define'd macro which uses goto. It's the only use I've ever found for it - but I do use that macro in every program I write.

Originally posted by John E
    I also use goto for cleanup. In my case I implement both cleaning up and error checking via a #define'd macro which uses goto. It's the only use I've ever found for it - but I do use that macro in every program I write.
    Me too. I only use goto for cleanup/error handling (jumping downwards, never upwards). This is (according to me) a good, defensive programming style.

I don't recall using a "go to" anytime in the past 30 years except when the language (not C/C++) requires it to do what needs to be done, such as "On Error GoTo" in VB. I have never, ever used a goto in C or C++.

If you don't understand the disadvantages of a goto then it is unlikely anyone can explain them. The disadvantages of a goto are not clear when considering it alone. The disadvantages are very clear when considering it in the context of a methodology such as Structured Programming.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

Originally posted by j0nas
    Me too. I only use goto for cleanup/error handling (jumping downwards, never upwards). This is (according to me) a good, defensive programming style.
    I think for error handling try/catch provides equivalent capability and most C++ programmers would use try/catch.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

Originally posted by Paul McKenzie

Indeed a very good request, I would be interested in these as well...

Originally posted by TDM
    Just as a side note. I performed a search on my entire VC++.NET directory for goto and it returned 2287 hits.
    Well..what did you expect?

Originally posted by John E
    Okay...that makes two evil things at the same time...macros and goto's...

As being pointed out, for error handling there are much better techniques than using 'goto' - of course this is only my view of the thing...

Originally posted by Andreas Masur
    As being pointed out, for error handling there are much better techniques than using 'goto' - of course this is only my view of the thing...
    Not in C (btw: I don't combine goto:s and macros).

Originally posted by Andreas Masur
    Indeed a very good request, I would be interested in these as well...
    What do you and others find interesting in knowing that? Do you think source codes that have goto:s in them are bad software or what?

PS. I've already mentioned, in this thread, the product name I'm developing.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast