I'll make a few quick comments on some of your questions --

Quote Originally Posted by John E
1) Is it advisable to try and "convert" existing C++ projects to C# or is this just making life difficult? Is it better to leave existing projects as they are and start using C# only for new projects?
This is something to look at on a project-by-project basis. I'd suggest looking at converting C++ projects to Managed C++ rather than going to C#. If you convert them to Managed C++, then you can link the pieces with C# going forward. (see your

5) Is there any "obj" level (i.e. intermediate level) compatibility between the two? For example, could a C++ project use C# objects at all or not? Are the two in any way inter-mixable?
The executables and DLLs created within .NET are actually composed of Intermediate Language code (IL/MSIL). This code is completely compatible and thus, you can mix classes from VB with those of C# or Managed C++. You can even go as far as inheriting classes from one language using another.

2) If it's possible to convert existing projects are there any tools to help automate the process?
There are definitely tools to convert VB 6 to VB.NET or C#. There are also tools to convert from C# to VB.NET and back. I've not seen tools to go from C++ to C# or VB.NET, but then I've not looked.

Brad!