CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning C#

Re: Learning C#

I'll make a few quick comments on some of your questions --

Quote Originally Posted by John E
    1) Is it advisable to try and "convert" existing C++ projects to C# or is this just making life difficult? Is it better to leave existing projects as they are and start using C# only for new projects?
    This is something to look at on a project-by-project basis. I'd suggest looking at converting C++ projects to Managed C++ rather than going to C#. If you convert them to Managed C++, then you can link the pieces with C# going forward. (see your

5) Is there any "obj" level (i.e. intermediate level) compatibility between the two? For example, could a C++ project use C# objects at all or not? Are the two in any way inter-mixable?
    The executables and DLLs created within .NET are actually composed of Intermediate Language code (IL/MSIL). This code is completely compatible and thus, you can mix classes from VB with those of C# or Managed C++. You can even go as far as inheriting classes from one language using another.

2) If it's possible to convert existing projects are there any tools to help automate the process?
    There are definitely tools to convert VB 6 to VB.NET or C#. There are also tools to convert from C# to VB.NET and back. I've not seen tools to go from C++ to C# or VB.NET, but then I've not looked.

Brad!

A list of good .NEt Framework and C# books would help a lot.
    Har Har

Quote Originally Posted by PadexArt
    A list of good .NEt Framework and C# books would help a lot.
    I have found the Wrox publications books really good. .. I have the Professional C# and an ASP.NET book (1.1) and I have really liked them..

The professional C# deals with the language features pretty fast and then introduces the bigger things that one could do with C# in .Net... ASP.Net one is also amazing...

Hello
    I'm new in .NET. I've worked before in C/C++ Win32, MFC.
    I try to find appropriate book. I'm thinking to buy one of these 2 books:

Pro C# 2005 and .NET platform 3rd ed (Apress)
    Wrox Professional CSharp 2005
    If you have any opinion regarding my selection please help.

Thanks

Any idea of those books ?
    Thanks

Both of those books are okay. They may not be beginner books, but with your C/C++ background they should be fine.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Red face Re: Learning C#

It is very good, I am learning C# and I am a beginner. it is very helpful to me.

Hi,

T r y this book titled"Database programming using vb 2005,C# 2005 and SQL Server"
    Last edited by Brad Jones; June 12th, 2007 at 07:47 AM.

Entry level books...

Hey guys,
    Im also trying to teach myself programming, my aim is software development, but im still a long way away from that goal
    But...apart from that its going well, could I please get a few recommendations of good books for learning C#...
    I have currently read "Sams Tech yourself C# in 24 hours"(why they insist on such a stupid concept i dont know), and almost finished O'Rilleys "Learning C#2005", which im really liking. Not the most exiting book, but seems to give you a good grounding...Where to from now?
    Was thinking O'Rilleys "Programming C#", for people that have read this book would they suspect that it would suit my level or is it too advanced? Any recommendations for books on learning C# would be appreciated!
    Nick

thanks thats a sweet site.

Lightbulb Re: Learning C#

hi am new one here..
    suggest me some good books..
    am fresher working in wipro..

Smile Re: Learning C#

I advise one good book- OReilly.C.Sharp.3.0.Cookbook.3rd.Edition.Jan.2008
    It'c Evident enough book

One thing i would like to get clear with c# is that as .NET framework is continuely changing to newer versions, does that mean that with each new version of the framework that new features are added into the c# language itself?

For example could i take c# book written for .NET framework 2.0, learn the concepts and still expect to find c# for .NET 3.5 to be same in terms of language syntax and concepts etc- if that makes sense....

What im really trying to get a grasp of is that do you have to learn new things of c# with each new .NET framework..?

Thanks

The C# language is theoretically independent of the .NET Framework; however, both are evolving currently on roughly the same schedule. The changes from C# 2 to C# 3 are pretty much additions to the language, so if you learn 2.0, you are not learning things that don't apply. The difference is that in the newer versions additional things are added to make development easier or to give functionality where previously there wasn't an easy way.

If you learned C# 3.0, then you'd need to be careful if you were working on a systme that was written with C# 2.0. Of course, this raises the question of -- what systems are written with the older versions of the language? You've already deduced that to some extent. .NET 2.0 supports C# 2.0. I don't believe it supports the newer 3.0 features. So if you write a C# 3.0 application, you likely need to be in .NET 3.0 or later. If you write, however a C# 2.0 applicatoin, it is going to work on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0.

This is a bit of a rambling answer. If it isn't clear, say so and I'll try to take a little longer to respond clearer

Brad!

Thanks brad. Your post is very clear. So would it be a suggestion to just start learning c# targeted for .NET3.5 as opposed to starting with c# 2.0? I'm only saying this i've got resources written primarily for .NET 2.0.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast