CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Request for new forum

Hi all(esp Brad!),
    Once somewhere in this forum I mentioned that there is a flood in the Visual C++ forum. Posts from a single day may cover anywhere from 3-8 pages. So the problem is that posters often has to refresh or bump their posts often to stay afloat. The only solution I can see is to create more specific forums. The recent such addition was the forum for graphics programming which was nice.

I request another forum that discuss topics such as winsock, protocols (tcp, udp...) and related. The topic (socket) is very vast and that itself deserves a seperate forum. I often find winsock topics answered by few regular members. If such a forum is created it can benifit the posters as well as the members who regularly answer the questions. There is always a good chance for those who know the answer to miss the questions because of the flood. Hope my request will be considered in the interest of the betterment of CG.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mathew Joy; February 18th, 2004 at 07:18 AM.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

Anyone else interested in this forum? If so, chime in on this thread.

Thanks,

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Brad Jones

Thanks,

Brad!
    I just wanted to say that I dont chime in

Because first, this idea is absolutely based on so much "self"ness,
    Second,
    the problem is that posters often has to refresh or bump their posts often to stay afloat.
    Members can search for their own names...
    I request another forum that discuss topics such as winsock, protocols (tcp, udp...) and related. The topic (socket) is very vast and that itself deserves a seperate forum. I often find winsock topics answered by few regular members.
    Refer to my first reason, and the fact is that Mr Joy only posts one or twice a day, especially his question, about what he is sugesting here.
    There is always a good chance for those who know the answer to miss the questions because of the flood. Hope my request will be considered in the interest of the betterment of CG.
    Sure ! I mean when requesting something, people usually do that and that is known for sure...
    There is actually no "flood" here, a lot of different questions have been made on that VC++ forums and most of them are VC++ related posts.
    Now internet programming is mostly related to C++/VC++, so i think it is enough. Do not make so many forums that make each of them become dull like some of other places where I have been...

Anyway, I think it is up to Brad!, so I think what I said might be useless, Is that correct, Mr Jones ?

Me!
    Last edited by Charleston; February 18th, 2004 at 04:14 PM.

there is a certain amount of sockets questions asked...but it's no more than if we said, lets have a debugging forum. I kinda agree..sorta...I guess the real litmus is to create a forum and see how it rides....

/Hometown your hatred for Mathew is evident, because he, much like I, would say to you grow up...simpleton.

Originally posted by Brad Jones

Thanks,

Brad!
    One of the problem might be those who regularly answer might not see this thread. Seems like I have a solution.
    Originally posted by Charleston
    What is being alleged by you is absolutely baseless and as usual senseless. I challenge you to show me a question that I asked about winsock. Maybe about a couple that I asked at the time I joined this fourm. But I don't remember.

To Brad
    One of the reasons (apart from the already mentioned) that I asked you to create is that, recently I see less quality and sometimes wrong answers posted. And I find those after browsing 3-4 pages. As I told, those who are expertised it might not have a chance to view. (BTW I consider myself expert esp in certain areas of winsock, though I am still learning). If we have a separate forum, it will attract more people (from outside) to post here (along with the help of mods by moving threads). As usual the final decision goes to you.

<EDIT: Ooops...Again baned. Would have kept my noise a bit low if I knew it before I posted. Makes me feel I'm talking to a dead person >
    Last edited by Mathew Joy; February 19th, 2004 at 12:05 AM.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.

Some additional thougts about "flood"

See...think from the posters point of view. He wants to get his qn answered. In other words, he wants max views for his qn esp if it is specific to an area. So he flags this thread as URGENT or maybe subjects like help, hi etc... so that someone viewing it might have a clue to the problem, before it exits the first page. Some newbies do not know the trick of bumping to make the post afloat, thereby leaving CG and posting else where. I've got a few PM asking for help, though it was posted on the VC programming forum, and eventually I was able to help them (esp the ones that deals with LSP). If there was specific forums, the question would have answered and it would've helped not only the poster but also those who view them latter. The poster would have come for more (not to mention the by-mouth-publicity that CG gets) in such specific forums. I bet this is not only the discussion forum the Brad has seen.

Just strengthening my argument for more specific forums. I suggest one for winsock and co. cause I know that I can help.

Waiting for more chimes

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"
    [edited thread]
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

I think a socket forum is a good idea. the subject is broad enough
    to support a forum and recognizable enough that people would know
    that is what there problem is. I also like the debugger forum.
    I think it would prove very useful. The problem is that people
    would not know that is where they need to post, or would post
    there incorrectly.
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

Originally posted by souldog
    The problem is that people would not know that is where they need to post, or would post there incorrectly.
    That can be solved if the mods can move the threads from the general to the specific or to appropriate forums.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the debugger forum when
    I mentioned this. I don't think it would be a problem with sockets.

I think three possible forums which would be very useful are

sockets
    debugger
    os internals

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

Originally posted by souldog
    Just to be clear, I was talking about the debugger forum when
    I mentioned this. I don't think it would be a problem with sockets.
    Hmmm...Had the same doubt that it would create confusion, if I left like that. It occured me, when I re-read my post(should have quoted couple more of your lines). Yea...so in my prev post I was supporting the idea of having more specific forums.

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"
    well, i think, it should also encircle the Topics related with network programming, not only Sockets.
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

Maybe, but it will loose its focus if material of too high a level is included. Focus should be on the API stuff and maybe even
    restricted to C++/C.

Maybe there should be a sticky at the very top telling people
    not to use CSocket/CAsyncSocket as well.. Just to get that
    over with

Originally posted by Andy Tacker
    well, i think, it should also encircle the Topics related with network programming, not only Sockets.
    I think it is OK. But my view is the forum name should have 'winsock' (or something simillar) in it, so it is easier to recognize. As Soul said the topic is broad enough to support a forum. I know there are lots of socket related questions floating around the net. If we have a reconizable forum we can funnel some of the traffic into our forum. Well, it also depends on how popular the forum becomes and the first step is to have a name that shows winsock discussion is also taking place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast