CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Edit Box?????or Static text control

How can i make the background color of static text box to white................
    or
    why when i set my edit text box property to read only.its background color changes to windows color.....and not remains white
    please help me...........
    thanks
    Vishal

Re: Edit Box?????or Static text control

Originally posted by VishalNikiSharma
    why when i set my edit text box property to read only.its background color changes to windows color.....and not remains white
    To indicate that the control is read-only. That's by design, and users expect it to be like that.

Search the forum for the how-to. Doing this with Static Controls, and with Edit Controls, has been asked previously. You should be able to find the answer you are looking for including examples.

Search for CStatic color or CEdit color, and you should get lots of relevant hits.

Talking

If u r using MFC derive a class from CEdit and override the WM_CHAR message handler. so that whenever there is some keypress the msg is not forwarded. To the control. So ur control will be readonly AWA with whitebackground. or u can try to create user drawn controls.
    "I came"
    "I saw"
    "I conquered"

Originally posted by Cyber Bandit
    If u r using MFC derive a class from CEdit and override the WM_CHAR message handler. so that whenever there is some keypress the msg is not forwarded. To the control. So ur control will be readonly AWA with whitebackground. or u can try to create user drawn controls.
    Sorry but that is not necessary and definitely not the right way to do it.

Re: Edit Box?????or Static text control

Originally posted by VishalNikiSharma
    How can i make the background color of static text box to white................
    or
    Well...although I agree with gstercken not to change the default windows behaviour, you can change it by writing your own edit control derived from 'CEdit'.

React on the 'WM_CTLCOLOR_REFLECT' message. Inside the handler 'CtlColor()' you can check whether the field is read-only...
    Code:
    if((GetStyle() & ES_READONLY) == ES_READONLY)
    {
      // Edit field is read only
    }

Originally posted by Andreas Masur
    Sorry but that is not necessary and definitely not the right way to do it.
    Hey andreas can u explain why the path which suggested that is overriding the WM_CHAR not the right way.
    "I came"
    "I saw"
    "I conquered"

Originally posted by Cyber Bandit
    Hey andreas can u explain why the path which suggested that is overriding the WM_CHAR not the right way.
    Simply, because you are trying to solve problem A by using a workaround which is usually be used for a problem B.

In other words you eliminate a standard procedure for solving a problem which is not related to this procedure at all.

Hi
    I am not using mfc.i am using atl .............
    vishal