CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Getting rid of windows

I'm not sure if this topic will fit here, but here goes....
    Hi, I have a problem in regards to windows, I would like to get rid of the darn thing off of one of my computers. I wanted to delete the existing partition so that I could install Linux(by doing so I have more space on my linux partition). I tried by inserting my old Windows 2000 cd into the drive and then using the "delete existing partition by pressing D" option. That did not work, I don't why(even after smashing the keyboard countless times). I'd just like to get rid my existing windows partition, any method will do(short of putting a hammer to the hard drive, I still need it) and any comments are appreciated. Thanks

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    You didn't say how many partitions you've actually got but if you've only got one, you'll need to find something that runs from a CD ROM or floppy disk.

Partition Magic by PowerQuest will do exactly what you need - but it won't delete a partition if its the partition it's actually being run from.

hmmm...... I just want to get rid of windows, completely, off of my hardrive, that's pretty much it.

pretty much, I just want to clear my hardrive of all of the data that's on there. So that I could install an operating system of my choice on it(sort of like making my hardrive empty, like if you were to buy one just from a CompUsa store). Thanks.

Talking

If u have linux already installed all u have to do is boot into lin and use fdisk of linux to delete the partitions but if u dont have it installed nd if u linux installation cd's than boot from the cd1 of lin nd use disk druid or fdisk to del the win partitions. nd install the os.
    "I came"
    "I saw"
    "I conquered"

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Originally posted by ats007spdou
    making my hardrive empty, like if you were to buy one just from a CompUsa store
    Let me just explain what the problem will be if you completely wipe the drive. Wiping the drive is the easy bit. Partition Magic / Fdisk / Format - all of these could help you to do that. However....

Once you've wiped the drive, your computer won't be able to boot up. Before it can run any kind of program, whether Windows, Linux, DOS or whatever, your computer needs to have some kind of operating system installed. That's why I said that if you completely wipe your one and only partition, you'll need to be able to boot the PC from a CD ROM or floppy disk. You'd be very wise to check that you can do this before you delete the partition.

This kind of operation is much easier if you have more than one partition - because you can then delete the partition that doesn't hold Windows, install the new OS into the freed-up space, boot into the new OS and only then delete the Windows partition. That way, you at least have the condifence of being able to boot into something if things don't go to plan.

The alternative is that you wipe the hard drive and make it completely empty - in which case, you run the risk of not being able to boot the PC up at all....!

Good point

I see your point John E, thanks for the advice. I like your idea Cyber Bandit, I think I'll install linux first and then use fdisk to get rid of windows. Just one more question, how does one use fdisk to begin with? I'm not familiar with linux that well and I'm installing it so that I could learn more about it, so could you please explain which commands to use and such, if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb

well the linux fdisk is no such big deal. I don remember the cmds exactly but if u want than i will have to reboot I will tell u the procedure if u don get it tell me. first of all start fdisk than press m nd enter it will give u list of commands which u can use. than press p nd enter it will give u the list of all the partitions u have. than press d, for deleting the partitions, it will ask for the partition u wanna delete. del all the partitions u wanna delete nd then press w to write the partition table to hdd. this will end all
    "I came"
    "I saw"
    "I conquered"