CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb DOS and Ports in W2000

I have a DOS application that communicate through the RS232 with an Intel ICE (in circut emulator). With W98SE no problem but with W2000, the application run but don't communicate with the ICE.

How I can solve this problem?
    Is it possible to write some code to run first my DOS application?

Thanke you, Andrea.

I don't know what is this the ICE or how you called it and I'm not sure that I understand what is this the DOS application but I can try to answer you. I think there is no problem with Win32 Serial communication. You can check the "DOS application" code. I think the program gets some data from registry, for example, about this ICE. But in Win 2000 that can be in another place. So I mean the difference between '98 and '2000 not in the serial communication (for your case).
    Good luck

The ICE is an hardware emulator with a probe, that emulate the micro on my specific hardware.
    Moreover, I don't have any source of my DOS application and my fear is that this application (tha run from DOS prompt in W98) don't manage direct serial comunication in W2000.

What do you think?

Andrea.

Anytime you are dealing with anything hardware related, don't expect a program that works on one OS to work on another without any changes.

Those changes can be anything from changing an argument to a function to rewriting the whole application from scratch. That is why without the source code, you may be out of luck.

Windows 98 is essentially DOS 7.0 with a GUI interface. Windows 2000 is not DOS (the command line in Win2000 is not DOS -- it is the 32-bit command line), and many things that you can do in DOS will not work in Windows 2000.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

In the meantime I'm value to use driver so UserPort, GiveIO or another similar way out... somebody have any experience?

Ciao, Andrea.

As far as I know, you should be able to execute the DOS application as a DOS application under Windows 2000. Without source code of the DOS application, there is probably nothing you can do as a programmer, but you should check the options and such of the Windows 2000 system.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

In windows 2000 the DOS emulator is just another user level
    process which is subject to pre-emptive multitasking and does not
    have kernal level access. If your DOS application is accessing
    hardware, using DMA or something, then you are probably dead
    in the water. I guess it is impressive that the app did not just
    crash outright. Without the source code there is not much you
    can do. Search the web for DOS W2K. There are quite a few
    sites geared towards making old games run in the DOS emulator
    when these games access graphics hardware.
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

Thanke you for all your interventions... in the meantime
    I'm finding other solutions... one is to remain with two OS on my PC, W98 and W2000.

Ciao, Andrea.