CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Machine ID?

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Originally posted by Radius
    Anything can be cracked, it's that simple.

We used to use dongles where I work, but dropped them in favour of a package that uses serial numbers it loads from the computer from various pieces of hardware.
    Sounds a bit like Windows XP product activation - which reminded me. Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Windows XP product activation stuff been cracked yet?

Personally, I haven't heard anything but I guess it must have been by now.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Yes it has been cracked, just months after the release of XP.
    So everything can and will get cracked.
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

Hello Jim , I'm still looking for an answer.
    I don't believe that you can protect software forever, the
    only thing you can hope for is to make it harder to crack. This
    will only buy you time. So if it takes 1 year to carck your software, the cracked version will be old and people will want the new one(assuming you have a new one after a year).

awni

I think most protection schemes are cracked much much faster than in 1 year
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

Just put you best lawyer on them.

Copy protection also depends on who is goin to use them.

I personally think that we can always employ a system which will protect X percent of probability of cracking , so guys please dont discourage anybody who is in this bussiness , this is only remaining hope we can have , if everybody starts believing that "no protection works" then it will a kind of dissaster for future. isnt it.

PLease lets help build a protected world.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Re: PC ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bassett
    Did you ever get an answer you can use for obtaining PC or Machine ID?
    Professionally we use Ionworx solutions is stable and reliable you can choose which component you wish use (BIOS, CPU, HDD)

MachineID SDK info link : http://www.ionworx.com/machineid.html

Bye!
    Last edited by BullCo; October 19th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

Re: Machine ID?

The only way to ensure a 100% fool-proof way to stop software theft is to NEVER release it to the public...because as we make bigger and better rat traps to protect software...they make bigger and better rats !!!
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanaj
    The only way to ensure a 100% fool-proof way to stop software theft is to NEVER release it to the public...because as we make bigger and better rat traps to protect software...they make bigger and better rats !!!
    Of course no protection can provide 100% security, but...

When you quit (or left) your house (with no body inside), maybe you set on alarm and lock up the door to avoid any thief can enter, it's same for software.

When you set security, you increase skills level to break your protection...

It's always better than nothing.

Regards,
    Bull Co.

Quote Originally Posted by BullCo
    Of course no protection can provide 100% security, but...

When you quit (or left) your house (with no body inside), maybe you set on alarm and lock up the door to avoid any thief can enter, it's same for software.

When you set security, you increase skills level to break your protection...

It's always better than nothing.

Regards,
    Bull Co.
    With some of the black hat tools out there today this can/will/has been done without much effort...
    Jim

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

I haven't seen anything from IonWorx cracked before. As well as I haven't seen Themida/WinLicense cracked since 1.4.3.0. Thats saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehorav
    I haven't seen anything from IonWorx cracked before. As well as I haven't seen Themida/WinLicense cracked since 1.4.3.0. Thats saying something.
    Well then I guess I'll have to take a gander at these products you seem to like so much...thanks for the info. Do you know if these are for both .NET and EXE ??
    Jim

Even that's not enough, there have been lots of things that got out before they were released.
    --
    Synetech

Well then I guess I'll have to take a gander at these products you seem to like so much...thanks for the info. Do you know if these are for both .NET and EXE ??

For IonWorx products, there are different things. www.ionworx.com Take a look at some of their products. Most of them are for Delphi/Borland languages.

With WinLicense and Themida (and everything else Oreans sells) has two different versions. The Win32 and the Win32/.NET. These aren't cheap, but I actually work with someone who uses WinLicense and we've seen people try to crack it for days/weeks. And they've NEVER cracked it. (Then again they probably were not the best of crackers). But IonWorx and Oreans are the only two companies I trust for software protection.

By the way, if you wished to buy the Serial Shield SDK from IonWorx, I would suggest also using Themida from Oreans. Themida has everything WinLicense does, except WinLicense has actual licensing options.

Oreans also has like, at least an update per week. So you don't have to worry about your product gettin cracked, and you having to wait for a year for a new version of the software protection to be released with more options.
    Last edited by Rehorav; October 20th, 2006 at 07:13 AM.

Well with Ionworx SerialShield you can protect win32 and .NET project, don't need to buy 2 solutions, very affordable when you compare to other .NET copy protection.

I should you to try to get your own idea, here : http://www.ionworx.com/serialshield.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast