Hi,

Appreciate any opinions on this.

Like me you maybe have or are going to have this problem in the future. This is worth mention because this

is a serious problem if you want to publish your asp.net on your server because if you use the default

installation of Visual studio .net with framework 1.1xx this error could occure. Don't know if this is a bug

in the installation process but I think if you create an asp.net application you probebly want it to work

without the 'Enter Network Password' dialog box. This popup was like a virus and it is not easy to remove.

Here is a list you probebly tried if you are in the situation like me:

*Add IUSR_Machinename rights to all folders in wwwroot
*Add IWAM_MachineName to rights to all folders in wwwroot
*Add ASPNET to rights to all folders in wwwroot
*Set anonymious login in IIS
*Set authentication = none in web.config
*Use only basic authentication in IIS and set IUSR to logon localy in policy editor.
*Set allow IIS to control password
*Increase rights for IUSR_MachineName by adding for example 'users' in 'Member Of' tab in property in Local

Users and groups.
*Add Anonymous logon or Authenticated Users in Guests group that IUSR uses.
*Open machine.config and change processModel Attributes: and try userName="machine" or userName="SYSTEM"
*Reinstall IIS with aspnet_regiis.exe -i and regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll

Have I missed something that doesn't work ? :-)

Now here is some bad solutions that work.
*Add administrators group in IUSR_MachinName account
*And alternative set ASPNET in Anonymous User Account (ASPNET has Administrator rights)

Ok I have solved it without having to set Administrator rights for IUSR_ but don't know how this will affect

security issues.

Downloaded Filemon from sysinternals.com
Started the program and wathed 'access denied' when spam popup "enter network password" appeared.
Ok access denied on aspnet_isapi.dll
Searched in google for "aspnet_isapi.dll" "IUSR" and got aprox 5 hits.
One of them used the filemon.

Solution:
Add IUSR_MachinName to WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
Ok it works for me but what a piece of hard work to get there :-)

Now why doesn't Microsoft set IUSR_MachineName rights directly in framework forlder when installing .NET

Framework or a similar approach that fix this bug?

Yours sincerely
Andla