CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

VC++ is confused by registry/drives

I had an extra hard drive present in my PC which had drive allocation D:. I installed MS Visual Studio to drive E:. I then had to remove the Drive D: which meant that the drive that was E: is now D:. Consequently all the registry entries for MS Visual Studio are now pointing to the wrong drive. There are too many entries for me to correct easily and I've now lost the facility to correct it myself by writing a program! Can somebody help me out? Given that all registry entries of "E:\" should be "D:\"... Is there another way?? Please help! It's very frustrating....

Thanks in advance.

Dinker

What operating system do you have?
    If it is a Windows NT based OS (WinNT/XP/2000, etc), then you can use Disk Manager to assign any drive letter you want to the drive, thus you can make the drive letter E again.

If it is Win95/98/ME there are freeware utilities that allow you to do the same. One such utility is Letter Assigner

Russ

I would check for KB articles on msdn.microsoft.com. I would think that re-running the install program would probably be the most likely solution. I would have to believe they foresaw this and have coded the install (or a seperate tool) to correct the registry entries, seeing as it would detect that you have a version installed based on registry settings present already. (but hey that's just what I would have done )

Dont miss the trivial solution.....

subst E: D:\

Now you have an e-drive back!
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first