CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Unix

Unix

Could any one please tell me From where can I get UNIX operating system. I want to install it in my PC for programming purpose.

My PC has
    Intel P4 1.6GHz processor
    Intel 850MV MotherBoard and
    128 MB RAM.

When you say UNIX, I assume you mean *nix? www.linuxiso.org (it is, like one of the first results on google).

No. I dont mean Linux or BSD.
    I mean UNIX by Bell Labs.

I don't think you can get it for free. All Unix required paid license and they are usually customized for processor other than Intel.

If U are intereseted in learning programming (and/or working in environment) for UNIX-like systems, U may take some free OS, like Linux or FreeBSD. They are mostly common in what concerns of programming stuff (at least user space programs (not drivers)), but that will be enough for U, though.

Bell Labs ended to maintain its Unix version long time ago. What U've meant is Unix System V. It doesn't produce it any more. It sold their buiseness to Novel, then Novel sold smth partially to f***ing SCO. And now we have that noise from SCO, that that code has been used in Linux. .. money and advocates...

Nowadays UNIX is considered to be just a class of OS's.

Just for having fun, follow this link. This's a history tree of Unix :
    http://www.levenez.com/unix/
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

Talking

Originally posted by Kheun
    I don't think you can get it for free. All Unix required paid license...
    Didn't SCO publish UNIX under GPL?

Originally posted by treuss
    Didn't SCO publish UNIX under GPL?
    Well, these are commercial unices. As I guess, amongst all unix-like OSes, only Linux uses GPL. FreeBSD (NetBSD, OpenBSD) use their own open licensies.
    I donot know many details about the deal between Novel and SCO (that seems that nobody knows, even they are ). But now Novel claims that it had sold their buisness to SCO, but that didn't include the rights on sources. In any case, these claims from SCO are stupid now. There were lots of funny cases when they were trying to show some parts of "stollen" code.
    Oh... I guess for completing the current picture, Fortran creators should patent some of programming languages statements like cicles, if-statements, etc... that'll be funny
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"