CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Error in .EXE

Error in .EXE

Whenever I run my program through VB, I encounter no porblems at all...

After compiling it to produce a .EXE file for it and tried to run it I encountered this error message.
    The exception floating point inexact result.
    (0xc000008f) occured in the application at location 0x77e6d756.
    That happens whenever I click the my Log-in Form's Cancel button.

A scenario:
    When I run the program, my Log-in dialog will appear to prompt the user to enter his/her username and password before the main window will appear (only if valid entries are entered). After providiing valid entries the the program's main window will now appear without any problem. If I click on File>Exit, then my program will terminate via End command.

But when I do this, the problem occurs...
    When I run the program, my Log-in dialog will appear (as I've mentioned). But instead of providing valid entries I decided to click the Cancel button to exit the program. And when I do, that error message appears and my program will terminate with such error.

How can I resolve this? Please help.

.alienx

Do not end with "End"
    It is an abruptly termination, and will not perform query_unload,
    uload and even Terminate events. It will not close correctly objects...
    Close your program stopping all timers, unloading all forms and
    setting to nothing all instantiated objects ...
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

I had the same problem last night with an exe. I made a copy of the exe and gave it a new name, and it worked fine. The funny thing is that the original EXE runs fine on my Win2000 machine, but not on the XP machine. Last thing I did was completly powerdown all PCs, I'll see if this has corrected the problem tonight.
    JP

Please remember to rate all postings.

Inexact floating point...

Sorry, saw something else: the inexact result should have another explanation
    Inexact result
    The inexact result exception is signaled when the rounded result of an operation is not exact or if it overflows without an overflow trap.
    here:
    http://www.scd.ucar.edu/docs/chinook...ing-point.html
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

Thanks for the link Cimperiali it was something informative. But it seems it applies only to C Programming. How may I implement FPE tracing in VB?

.alienx

Did you try renaming your .EXE? My problem, seems to stem from the .EXE name i.e. the name (TIME KEEPING.EXE) causes an exception error but (Copy of TIME KEEPING.EXE) does not.

I can see errors in the event logs, for Time Keeping, but not for the Copy - not that the logs are helping much.
    JP

Please remember to rate all postings.

I got it working fine now. Thanks Cimperiali! the End command seems to be the evil on my program. I had solved the problem by unloading all loaded objects, and components then set it to Nothing.

And for the rest of you guyz who replied to this thread, thanks for all of the help and information you provided!

.alienx