CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Memo field will not display more than 255 chars [resolved]

Hello;

I am ammending another developer's app who used Crystal Reports 7.0. I am new to Crystal Reports. I have a field on a report that is defined in our Oracle database as a varchar2(4000). The ttx file for the report defines the field as String 4000. But the report will only print out 255 characters or less. We are only noticing this now as in the past the clients have not used this field to its extent (they have always enetered less than 255) But now they want to use it the way we set it up and the data is displaying accordingly in the application (multi-line textbox) when they enter more than 255, but the report won't print it. Please help if possible - it has been 2 days now looking at this. I will include ttx file content:

labour.ttx:

wokorder_no String 30
    complaint_id String 40
    complaint String 150
    ata_code String 14
    ata_description String 100
    mech_name String 30
    service_description String 4000<----field that won't print
    estimate_description String 25
    estimate String 5
    actual_billing String 5
    rate String 10
    rate_description String 25
    total String 12

I have also ensured that CanGrow is set to true, and the maximum number of lines is at '0' which according to documentation should ensure no limit on the number of lines. Any ideers anyone????

Thanks much
    Last edited by Ahara; March 24th, 2004 at 01:13 PM.

Much to my surprise, the fix was:

data type "String" in ttx file needs to be "Memo" and the cursor location of the connection object must be client side. This is typically a great forum - I am surprised no one replied.

Re: Memo field will not display more than 255 chars

I have same problem...in this case I not define datatype on ttx file but use recodset. The recodset use textbox object for stored on crystal report.