CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Database design before starting

Hi,

I would appreciate any help or suggesions on starting with database design for an asp.net site.
    I know this question maybe sounds silly but I feel stuck and don't know where to start.

Yours sincerely
    Andla

the design depends on what is the requirement of your project...
    R. Thomas
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."Philippians 4:6-7
    "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1Thess. 5:16-18

stop posting the same problem in all the messagebopards ans forums in the world dude!
    R. Thomas
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."Philippians 4:6-7
    "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1Thess. 5:16-18

Hi!

Just want to post to other forums to increase chance to get any response at all. There are many questions that hasn't been answered when I posted to only one stand alone forum site.

Second reason is that I feel sympathy to forum owners that doesnt have much traffic so I try to help them.

Did you by any chanse answer my question in Programmers Heaven. I got this fealing because of your words of jesus.

I'm very grateful for your answer and I wouldn't mind another with a different angle that you was about to do. :-)

Yours sincerely
    Andla

Re: Database design before starting

Originally posted by andlag
    Hi,

I would appreciate any help or suggesions on starting with database design for an asp.net site.
    I know this question maybe sounds silly but I feel stuck and don't know where to start.

Yours sincerely
    Andla
    Talk about open ended ... Think about what kind of data you want to capture/track/hold/make/etc ... Then break it down into related bits of info. Create table structure from that. Normalize. Build interface to interact with end user and database ... Regain your sanity after all done.

Thanks M!

Short but very informative. About how the bits are related would that come naturally when I think I know what piece of information I want to use or do I need to follow some rules och schema to know that ?

Regards
    Andla

Originally posted by andlag
    Thanks M!

Short but very informative. About how the bits are related would that come naturally when I think I know what piece of information I want to use or do I need to follow some rules och schema to know that ?

Regards
    Andla
    Yes ... For the most part we're talking common sense here ... The interesting part is when you start getting into relating disparate data together ... Then the data design comes in handy. HOW TO relate this table (data) to that table (data) ... Examples: Customers, Contacts, Employees, Procedures, Jobs, etc ... Think of the attributes that describes each of those ... Location, Phone #, etc ... Construct your tables such that they contain the attributes that describes the entity.