CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: vc++ 6 & win XP

Question vc++ 6 & win XP

Hi,
    I have an app developed in vc++ 6 on a win2k platform,
    It has an install kit created with the install shiels.
    when trying to run it on a winXP platform it fails to run (it passes compilation and creates an exe file) from within the devlopment eviroment & after installation.

Why is that ?

What do you mean when you say "it fails to run"? Are you getting any errors? Is the application throwing an exception? Please provide more details.

Best regards,
    Robert

a priview:
    this app is an app which controles a high speed video camera.
    it can change the exposure, the amount of data to record, the amount of data to download, etc.

when trying to run it fron the development env. it posts an error message - win32dll, code(267)

when trying to run it after installing it from the kit,
    I can access and change every aspect of the camera,
    the only thig that fails is the ability to download the pictures from the camera to the computer.

I tried another app (which was provided by the supplier of the camera) and it works well, so that iliminates a HW error.
    Plus, it runs well on a win2k platform.

I susspect a suitable component (dll, H-file, etc) for winXP is missing, but I'm not sure.

Do you have any Ideas ?

Use the depends tool that ships with the Platform SDK and open the application on your XP machine. If there are DLLs that are missing, they will show little error symbols saying they cannot be found (in the bottom window).

If it is a missing DLL that is the quickest way I can think to find out for sure.

Best regards,
    Robert

thnx.

Can it be that the install shield is missing the nessecary files to be compatible with win XP ? in the building proccess it states that it is compatible with win NT 4.0

Regads, Eli