CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

about stack size

If my programm needs exact 600 bytes stack, can I just allocate 600 bytes for it? Will this causes stack overflow? Or some other problems?
    Thank you in advance.

Either I am missing something here or I do not understood the problem...yes, you can allocate 600 bytes on the stack...without any problems...

Re: about stack size

Originally posted by wind0965
    If my programm needs exact 600 bytes stack, can I just allocate 600 bytes for it? Will this causes stack overflow? Or some other problems?
    Thank you in advance.
    So what would happen if there are 601 bytes? Or for that matter 599 bytes? In other words, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

I think wind0965 wants to adjust the stack space that windows allocates to fit exactly the 600 bytes to reduce memory waste..
    maybe the /STACK compile option can help.

well, I don't know if it is necessary to reserve some more bytes for the interrupts or something else. The 600 bytes I mentioned is exactly my program itself needs.

Originally posted by wind0965
    The 600 bytes I mentioned is exactly my program itself needs.
    It is dangerous to assume that. For example, if the application gets an error, it could need more stack space and when it is not available, the application would crash in a manner that an application should never crash. You should endeavor to prevent crashes such as that, not cause them.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

But how many more bytes of stack do I need for one application to avoid the crash? If there are some methods or mechanisms to estimate it?
    Thank you for the reply.