CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GPL / LGPL drives me mad

hello,
    has anybody ever understood those licensing mumbojumbo ?

what I want to do:
    i have a windows-software and want to port it to linux. I don't want to give it away for free (am I the bad guy now ? ). Now I am in desperate search for some gui-toolkit, that gives me the ability to get all those nice little buttons, menus, dialogs and so on to linux. It is not neccessary, that I have nothing to change for the linux-port, as I am currently using win32api for the windows-version.

a first "success":
    I stumbled over a toolkit, that works under windows and also linux. it is called wxwidgets (formerly known as wxwindows). some guys on the web advised it to me as "the best one" for my needs. and it would be nice: it looks good, and if I changed my windows-classes to wxwidgets, I could use the same c++-classes for my linux-port.

what stopped me from being happy:
    ok, with my borland c++ builder for windows I know that I don't have to care about licensing anything when deploying my software. I may charge money, I may give it away for free... no problems. Even some files that must be shipped with some kind of application are no problem. but if I use wxwidgets (and I think any other thing that is under GPL/LGPL) everything changes as I understood from the bunch of cryptical text I had to read in those license-monsters. In fact at the end I had understood NOTHING !

my question(s):
    what REALLY do I have to think about if I use libraries like wxwidgets in a COMERCIAL product. Am I allowed to do that ? Do I have to give my sourcecodes to the public ? Do I have to place a remark in a help-file, about-dialog or readme-file, that my software uses (for example) wxwidgets ? What is your advise what I should do, or which library suits my needs best.

thank you for your help

highhead

3rd link down from a google search with "wxWidgets commercial" gives you a paragraph on the wx site stating you can do what you are thinking of doing.

Also, it doesn't make you a bad guy for charging money for a program you wrote. The thing is, I'm willing to bet there are about 30 free, open-source alternatives to your program already written for linux.

Hi Kasracer

That argument makes me laugh
    Yeah, there is CocaCola, Pepsi Cola on the market, so why another cola ? Or better: There are allready 2 supermarkets in our town, why do you want to start another ?
    or think about all those companies that build cars.
    So what ? And how can you judge even if you don't know anything about the kind of software I code ?
    Your argument seems very strange to me: Everything is allready available for linux ? so why are there programming-languages for linux and ide's ? nobody needs them ! Everything is complete ! It's retirement time for coders ! ahh you make me laugh.
    And you hint with google didn't get me any further !
    Is the linux-comunity so unfriendly ?

Re: Hi Kasracer

Originally posted by highhead
    Yeah, there is CocaCola, Pepsi Cola on the market, so why another cola ? Or better: There are allready 2 supermarkets in our town, why do you want to start another ?
    or think about all those companies that build cars.
    So what ?
    Wow, those totally do not parallel what I said. Question, are there 30 different, free colas out there? Are there free cars out there? No there isn't.

You can't just compare your product (which users pay for) to other products that are free and say it's just another cola because all colas cost money.
    Your argument seems very strange to me: Everything is allready available for linux ?
    My arguement? I don't have an arguement, I just started something fyi incase you didn't sell many copies and were wondering why.

Obviously not everything has been made for linux, but If something doesn't exist for linux, it probably doesn't exist for Windows (software wise, not games though you can play most games on Linux) either.
    so why are there programming-languages for linux and ide's ?
    Wait, you made software in C++ but you said "linux has programming languages"?

And you hint with google didn't get me any further !
    Type in what I told you to, click the 3rd link. It says right there in a Q&A structured document. It can't be any simplier unless I copied and pasted it here for you, but you called me mean so I think you can handle it

Quick and dirty explanation of GPL/LGPL.

1. You can charge whatever you want for your software.
    2. You don't have to show any of your code to the public.
    3. When using libraries licenced under the GPL you have to give, anyone you sell your program to, the source code to your program, and your code must be under a GPL licence. So anyone you sell your program to will be free to distribute it to the world for free.
    4. When using libraries licenced under the LGPL you don't have to give, the source code to your program, to anyone. You only have to show the source code, for any changes you have made to the libraries them selves, not the code that just uses the libraries. And you can put whatever licence you want on the parts of your program that only uses LGPL libraries.
    The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that was completely foolproof,
    was, that people tended to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    Douglas Adams

Thanks KHP

That's exactly what I needed nothing else.

Thank you again

highhead

TO KASRACER

Ok, as I see you are one of those "EVERYTHING FOR FREE"-fanatics.

Do you have to work for a living ? I don't think so, because otherwise you would know, that not everybody is free to work and give the rssults as a gift to the "worldwide comunity".

People like me are working to pay the rent, having something to eat ans so on.

The most freeware coders and people that coder opensource-software I know are students. I'm so sorry for not beeing a student my whole life.

What you forget in addition are the "few little" commercial products for linux.

When using libraries licenced under the GPL you have to give, anyone you sell your program to, the source code to your program, and your code must be under a GPL licence. So anyone you sell your program to will be free to distribute it to the world for free.
    Hum, when using GPLed source code, you have to make your program available for free as well if I'm not mistaken. You can charge for copying/distributing costs however.

Moderator note:
    By the way, the questions whether or not there already are GPLed programs that do what your program will do and whether it's bad to charge for software don't quite have their place here. In any case, please keep the conversation cordial.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Originally posted by Yves M
    Hum, when using GPLed source code, you have to make your program available for free as well if I'm not mistaken.
    No, this is wrong.

Originally posted by Yves M
    You can charge for copying/distributing costs however.
    No, you can charge, whatever you want for your program, not just enugh to cover distribution costs. The GLP does not make software free as in beer.

A quote from the GPL FAQ

Q: Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?
    A: Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software.
    The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that was completely foolproof,
    was, that people tended to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    Douglas Adams

Yes, fair enough. The thing is that as soon as one user pays for it, he can redistribute it for free.
    Q: Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay me a fee and/or notify me?

A:No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.

The GPL is a free software license, and therefore it permits people to use and even redistribute the software without being required to pay anyone a fee for doing so.
    So in essence, if you don't make your GPLed program available for free to the public, any third party that has obtained a copy of the program along with the source can do so at their will.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.

Re: TO KASRACER

Ok, as I see you are one of those "EVERYTHING FOR FREE"-fanatics.
    No I'm not. I actually have a decent idea for a piece of software I was considering developing to sell, but I still don't know if I am going to.
    Do you have to work for a living ?
    Yes. yes I do
    The most freeware coders and people that coder opensource-software I know are students. I'm so sorry for not beeing a student my whole life.
    Not all people involved are students. In fact, I'd say most are not because most students don't know enough yet to make certain applications that some open-source groups are making.

to kasracer

Ok, i apologize for my "assault" at you.
    I'm just a little bit bored of all those people telling me that commerial software is a baaad thing, all the time since I am thinking about porting something to linux. some of them are very agressive people. they often seem to be some kind of fanatics.

but after the facts Ives posted ago, I think I'll stay away from using some LGPL-stuff. It seems to be too much messin' around to build something or porting something to linux or other operating-systems that are gpl-dominated, since there seems to be no kind of Win32-API-style API in linux, that I can use for building a GUI.

thanks for your opinion and patience

highhead

Hum, I think we may have put you off with the discussion about GPL. The LGPL is more liberal and you can indeed create commercial programs which use it. Another thing you can use is QT, but it's rather expensive (2000$ depending on what you get) for commercial programs.

To Ives

Hmm, that's what I understood also about LGPL. And as far as I know, the wxwidgets- libraries are under LGPL. I'll give it a try.
    QT is in fact expensive. Don't know how they get customers

Yeah, well I have been wondering that too. I've looked at tools to migrate our program to Linux and MacOS, and have evaluated QT a bit. It's certainly nicer than wxWidgets and more complete, but it's hard to justify the price

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast