CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Put an infinite number of monkeys in a room with a infinate number of typewriters, and you will eventually get shakespear.

Put 10 monkeys in a room with 1 computer and a copy of Visual Studio, and you can have Windows Media Player in 10 minutes.

Put a few thousand monkeys all over the world with internet access and you can have CodeGuru.com in 3.25 minutes

Originally posted by Deniz
    CEO's greatest dream has already come true. Its called cheap offshore outsourcing. I hope their jobs get outsourced one day too.

I think the way we are going, people would sell anything and do anything for money. It makes me sick to my stomach what they think they can get away with. Nothing wrong with hard work and making money but when you backstab people and step all over them, then thats pretty much as low as pimping yourself for money.
    Outsourcing is not turning out to be the paradise the outsourcers promised it would be.

Labor cost go down, but every other cost associated with the project goes up. And there are more production problems, which are more costly to fix in production than in development. So word is getting around. Hopefully this trend will die out

Originally posted by mburke
    Outsourcing is not turning out to be the paradise the outsourcers promised it would be.

Labor cost go down, but every other cost associated with the project goes up. And there are more production problems, which are more costly to fix in production than in development. So word is getting around. Hopefully this trend will die out
    Sorry buddy, I somehow doubt that it will "die out", most of those sky high costs are coming down rapidly too. Also, there is hope, it's called insourcing, yes, it actually creates jobs in the rich wester countries that are exporting jobs at the same time to the dirt poor countries click here.
    Favorite music:
    Rammstein
    E nomine
    Prodigy

"Beer, the solution and the cause of all of our problems" -- Homer Simpson

As one who is on both sides of the out-sourcing issue [I run an independant consulting firm that is US based], my opinion on the issue varies on a day to day basis.

On the whole, I think that the pendulum is swinging back from the extreme of "lets outsource everything possible to the lowest (international) bidder" to looking at the cost/benefit tradeoffs on a much more granular level.

I am currently involved in a large (Microsoft .NET based) web oriented application. The client company has divided various parts to different sources with different skill sets. As the firm responsible for the overall architecture [and back-end implementation] I get to see how each of the companies are performing.

So far it seems to work well, although I suffer from long days [Germany wants me at 5:00AM, Australia at 11:00PM]. The real proof will be in late June when we migrate all of the parts to the pre-production environment.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Question

Originally posted by TheCPUWizard
    The real proof will be in late June when we migrate all of the parts to the pre-production environment.
    It's almost been one month....

How's it looking so far? Or is it still too early to tell?

Talking Re: Higher Primates Can Program VB.NET

Originally posted by Deniz
    Experiments with baboons have proved that higher primates can perform software testing, traverse complex menus, and code simple XML schemas.

Read all about it here
    What I don't understand is: How did The Onion miss this story???

Frog (any any other interested parties)...

We have been doing some early integration tests. There are a few issues, but not significantly more than when dealing with a local in-house team.

One of the items we did need to address after the project was started was related to the fact that the various teams had different native languages (although all spoke fluent english). Still the influence of each native tongue had an impact on variable naming conventions, etc.

Although I had dealt with this before [indeed I have worked with programs where all comments and variable names were in a different language], this was the first large project where we had to bounce between areas of code each with a different influence. Things worked, but I did get a few migrane headaches!

For those of you who have seen my other posts [in other threads/forums] on the importance of a documented design paradigm, there should be little suprise.

The portion I am looking forward to is when the two UI graphics teams portions come together!
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

I always knew a monkey could write VB.
    C++ - Pure
    C# - Microsoft's idea of Pure

Not sure what all you guys are so worried about. Advances in AI and robotics makes this an irrelevant conversation. So look forward to going fishing everyday or fighting in the resistance.

/Humans...they so crazy...

Originally posted by sargon
    Put an infinite number of monkeys in a room with a infinate number of typewriters, and you will eventually get shakespear.

Put 10 monkeys in a room with 1 computer and a copy of Visual Studio, and you can have Windows Media Player in 10 minutes.

Put a few thousand monkeys all over the world with internet access and you can have CodeGuru.com in 3.25 minutes
    Oh yeah ... Put a few hundred emus 'n' monkeys or people from bayern in front of an X86 which have no clue about compatibility, error handling, small source and you'll get Windows Longhorn in 2 w33ks

Thats crazy ...

Maybe the "man" who designed VB.NET was a monkey (or one who lives in bayern)

ng
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

Nice to see that you like your northern neighbors NoHero
    Favorite music:
    Rammstein
    E nomine
    Prodigy

Originally posted by ats007spdou
    Nice to see that you like your northern neighbors NoHero
    I could hug them ... really ... that was just a joke
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

Yeh, I know that the Bayern are a huggable bunch. And they're all squishy since they're always full of beer. Speaking of which gotta go...
    Favorite music:
    Rammstein
    E nomine
    Prodigy

Originally posted by ats007spdou
    Yeh, I know that the Bayern are a huggable bunch. And they're all squishy since they're always full of beer. Speaking of which gotta go...
    you shoulda went 6 hours ago ....

Yeh, I should have, good thing the cleaning lady comes in and cleans up my room from time to time, she'll take care of this .
    Favorite music:
    Rammstein
    E nomine
    Prodigy

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast