CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Multiple header files confusion

Ok, I am working on a ras cutom scripting project and the header file ras.h is required. The problem is that i have over a dozen ras.h files on my system and they are all different. The one i want is in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows SDK' along with the library. The one i think the compiler is using is in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include'. How do I force the compiler to use the header in the windows sdk?

if your using vc6.0 then it is in tools->options->directories->include dirs, set the SDK headers to appear before the VC98. If your using .NET it should be something 2 the same effect.

great, thank you. i'm using VC6. Are these setting project specific only?

Originally posted by What in the Sam Heck
    great, thank you. i'm using VC6. Are these setting project specific only?
    They are global settings, the SDK should always become before the VC install (make sure you set the libs dir also), since the SDK will have the latest headers/libs etc.

No. They are global settings.
    if you want to use project specific, you need to add it to project settings. But in most cases one does that only for project proprietery files and not for the SDK ones.

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that you may also want to add the new location for .lib files which will be
    tools->options->directories->library files