CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

SourceSafe Automation

I have a URL that points to a file in the sourcesafe database. Considering I have adequate permissions for VSS, how do I open the file using a registered application thru my VB code? I have used Sourcesafe 6.0 type library and can "Get" the file from VSS to a local directory and then open it. But is there any way by which I can just "open" the latest version without doing a Get?? Ex- If I dbl-click a document in VSS, it prompts "Do you want to view Sourcesafe's copy of this file?" after which it proceeds to open the document with a reistered application like MS word etc. I need to simulate that behavior using VB code.

thanx

Re: SourceSafe Automation

I have done a lot of work on Automating VSS and it's not that difficult, but there should be a quick answer to what your looking for.
    Try creating a shadow directory on the same machine as VSS, the shadow directory will replicate VSS Structure and always contain the latest files, so by mapping directly to these files and not through VSS you will have avoided any UI interaction with VSS.

Andy

Don't forget to rate!

Andrew Lennon (Berlitz)
    Automation Dev Engineer

Re: SourceSafe Automation

Thanx Andrew. Your solution was simple and useful.
    But let me clarify further. Owing to some space(&other) constraints, I do not wish to have multiple copies of the same file anywhere on the network(except VSS where they reside). So I wanted to avoid Shadow dirs. I am presently doing a Get on VSS - but it creates a copy of the file on the local dir. Ain't there any way I can just 'view' the file? (VSS allows to view a file and auto deletes it after viewing from its temp dir).