CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I turn to C# from C++?

I like COM/ATL,but it won't supported by Microsoft sooner or later.
    ASP.net,C# is the future.
    So should I abandon C++/COM/ATL,turn to C#/ASP.NET?

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Dear Jim,

First of all, this is not the right forum for this question.

Second, who told you that ASP.net,C# is the future?

Time to time, this discussion has been done, but the ultimate conclusion always were......C++ is devine, many fancy technologies in the last 2 decade came and gone, but C++ is still there, unless there happen to be some mircle, I don't see that C++ can be totally vanish from the face of the earth and the future belong to ASP.net or C# only.

Besides in this forum almost everyone will be biased towards C++.
    Extreme situations require extreme measures

[Moved thread]

Re: Should I turn to C# from C++?

Originally posted by Jim Springfield
    I like COM/ATL,but it won't supported by Microsoft sooner or later.
    ASP.net,C# is the future.
    So should I abandon C++/COM/ATL,turn to C#/ASP.NET?
    Stay calm with C++ !!!

IMHO, C# is a kind of Java clone.
    Given the more frequent troubles from the last time
    (one is that B.G. is no longer the richest in the world ),
    MS will not dare to impose .NET in an exclusive way.
    That may be their last mistake...
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

But ATL Server will never be supported by MS

Thank you very much.
    but Microsoft Said that ATL Server will never be supported after the release of INDIGO.I have seen the message from www.microsoft.com

Que?
    ATL Server?
    you mean ATL?

Oh I see now. ATL Server is a feature I never used that was only available in VC 7 and not a big success obviously. But ATL is here to stay.
    Last edited by fransn; June 8th, 2004 at 05:02 AM.

C# is M$ attempt at trying to muscle in on the popularity of Java, plain and simple. Or at least to keep its loyal customers from jumping ship by offering a java alternative. It tries to offer both programming aspects of C++ and Java.

Historically, trying to be all things to all people is a failed effort. A language is usually specific in its design that a good programmer will know in which situation what language to use. When you are Microsoft ( I say that like it is a status), then you get to set standards and impose your will upon the buying public. I doubt that any other company in the world could have been able to make C# what it is today. Millions have been spent promoting it. Look on this site alone, you'd think it's the nexus for .NET programmers. I don't know of any language that had to be promoted like c# has.

So if you feel like you might be missing out on something because of all the buzz about it then relax, it's just Microsoft buzz. Microsoft marketing is like the Cosmic Background Radiation, it's always there.

Ultimately, it really depends where and what you are working. In fact, even today, many embedded application (a.k.a. firmware) programmers still use C and not C++.

Switch with no fear to C# - this is the future. I'm in the process right now, and I estimate that you can write your code about 30% faster than in C++. I understand that it is hard for some people to admit, that C++ is fading. I'm one of them!

However, beeing enthusiast of C++ from one side, shouldn't darken that .NET platform is the future of Win programming. And C# is only a part of it. Finally you can use MC++ if you like complexity so much....

Complexity?
    how about code reuse through multiple inheritance, STL and many other features not present in C flat?
    I think dotnet only develops faster for serverside webapplications with a lot of database work and for the rest a good C++ programmer is probably faster than a VB/C# slave to M$.
    As for performance , the C++ code will always be superior.
    Last edited by fransn; June 9th, 2004 at 05:49 AM.

It all depends on which operating system will prevail. If MS-Windows is going to be used throughout the world in the future, then MS programming tools (such as C#) will be used mostly. If Linux or other operating systems become a serious threat then C++ programming will be a significant part of the market.
    I think we should be ready for both worlds...

Software application for PC is only a part of the larger software community. Most folks working on embedded application are using Real-Time OS (RTOS) like VxWorks, ThreadX, LynxOs, etc. Since Windows cannot meet real-time requirement, it would not be able to replace other RTOS in the near future, if not at all. This is why C/C++ will still be around.

Beside that, as C# is still not an international standard, it is not likely to be used for writing software that is platform independent. Many companies like to reuse their software component rather than rewriting it for every platform.

Software application for PC is only a part of the larger software community. Most folks working on embedded application are using Real-Time OS (RTOS) like VxWorks, ThreadX, LynxOs, etc. Since Windows cannot meet real-time requirement, it would not be able to replace other RTOS in the near future, if not at all. This is why C/C++ will still be around.
    Yes, I completely forgot this area. I have only made applications for PC.
    Now that I am thinking of it how about the PS2 and other game consoles? In what languages are the games developped?

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Mostly in different flavours of C/C++, most of the engines for games are written in it, also different games use graphic APIs like DirectX or OpenGL or others, although you can use them with other languages like visual basic etc, but the best results still come with C++.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast