CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

umm stupid question about SQL

helloooo
    I'm making a software for medium sized companies and it will use the msde 2000 engine as its base database engine.

My question is, because I'm not that familiar with C# environment, how do I distribute the software when it is done?

In other words, what do I have to do with the software so that it can run on every machine that I sell it to? Do I have to instruct them to install MSDE 2000 before running the program?

How about my database? What can I do with the database when I want my software to be stand-alone program??

Thank you

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"
    see not every household computer has SQL os MSDE installed. though most computer have microsft office. why dont you opt for Acess or Excel files?

there are builtin setup & redistribution wizard in VS.NET, take a look.
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

Well, I'm not going for Excel or Access.. those does not suit my needs because of its size and its expected speed.

So, to make a program with SQL based server, MSDE has to be installed before using the program. am I correct?

In direct answer to your question, YES, MSDE has to be installed. There is no reason why you can not bundle that with YOUR installation and perform the opertion from there seamlessly.

As an aside....
    Access.. those does not suit my needs because of its size and its expected speed.
    I have been developing applications usinga wide variety of data storage technologies [including Access/Jet, SQL Server, Oracle].

In general size and speed, per se are NOT an issue if things are carefully designed. Capabilities are a totally different issue. If you need stored procedures, triggers, views, then Access/JET does not apply.

Be extremely carefule with MSDE, if there are more than 8 "simultanious activies" then MSDE will automatically thottle. During some load testing with 15 users, I was abe to make MDSE insertt 30+ second delays beofre processing commands!!!!!

Only you know the exact needs for YOUR applictaion. If it is a medium sized company, there may be many users and MSDE may not be what you want. SQL Srver (at $10K/server) is probably out of the budget.

Hope this helps....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

do u want all of the entrie to me safely saved? i mean not accessible by simply opening the file....?

in that case the database is the best solution, but i would choose Access if i were you -- just with an access password..
    Regards,
    Alexei

umm...for Alexei Kubarev, first of all, setting a Access pwd is an extremely dangerous action if I'm correct.
    Secondly, it will be used by many computers, not just 1 computer. However, there won't be any "heavy-duty" SQL Commands going between the client and the server.

If he is correct, by the statement that it only allows limited number of users for MSDE, I don't know if I have a choice, since SQL server is little expensive for most of the companies.

Then, is there any way that I can use Access type database but not leave it as a file so that users can access or open it any time? I know that I have to change the whole program around to make this change from server-based program to client local based program but is there any way that i can actually integrate, or not allow a user to access the database with an external program such as Microsoft Access?

I don't know if I asked the question clearly, but thanks for all your help

Solution: use MySQL instead
    its free and allows lots of users
    And its fast and doesnt need so much resources... all you need is mysql server and myodbc... all of them could be found at
    http://www.mysql.com

Good luck
    Regards,
    Alexei

Originally posted by Alexei Kubarev
    Solution: use MySQL instead
    its free and allows lots of users
    And its fast and doesnt need so much resources... all you need is mysql server and myodbc... all of them could be found at
    http://www.mysql.com

Good luck
    I think MySQL is great ..
    but as far as I know it's not free for profit organizations and if you use the windows version.
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles

<a rel=https://twitter.com/HeshamAmin" border="0" /> @HeshamAmin

No no I think the Windows version is free, just the making money off of using MySQL is the part where you have to give them money (like you said ).

No no I think the Windows version is free
    maybe you are right
    i searched MySQL.com and I found nothing specific for windows..
    I've got this inforamtion about windows from an old book I started with (Teach yourself MySQL in 21 days)
    the author said that TCX payes to buy OS / Compilers for developers to test and compile the windows version .. while linux vesion uses free compilers..
    this seemed to make sence
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles

Well, I haven't read any of Sam's books, buuut, the only reason I brought that Windows mySQL is free for windows is because I have it installed on my computer with Apache ;(. I hope it is free! Otherwise the Feds are probably after me right now!!! I have to get out of here!! (Runs away from home)

ahhh I think that MySQL is free for use but not for profit organization...
    but what i'm making is for profit, so mySql is out. It's quite expensive too... about 500 dollars for developers.

I'm just going to settle with MSDE...even if it supports less people, it's free.

Unless I can find a way to integrate Access database into my program so users can't open the file, I'm stucked with MSDE.

Question, how do other database programs work that does not require installation of any servers? Do they use Access? but they aren't secure... I have no idea what they use... such as ABMIS Professional...hmm just curious..

I would say protected Access DB... im not really sure... ofcource there is another way... creating own database engine that will be integrated into your program... so that it would only be accessible by your program... this is quite a hard way of doing it i belive... i wish i knew how to do it...

This reminds me -- anyone can tell me how to do it?!

Thanx
    Regards,
    Alexei

first of all, setting a Access pwd is an extremely dangerous action if I'm correct
    Why do you think so ?
    Because it can be recovered by some programs ?
    I think SQL Server 7 security was also broken

also you can give some more security to access databases by Encrypting the database (Tools->Security->Encrypt/Decrypt Database)
    but this will slow the database by 10%-15%.
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles