CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

General Discussion moderation policy

This (locked) thread is a compilation of the rules of the General Discussion / Chit Chat forum.
    • For the veterans: I just merged the three stickies (Posts don't count/Moderation policy/Staying on topic)
    • For the newcomers: Please read this rules

Hello everybody.

First of all, I don't start this thread because of some incident in the General Discussion Forum. I just want to state a few things and let you guys tell me what you think.

The General Discussion Forum is somewhat special, because it does not have a topic posts have to adhere to. In other words, it allowes you to chat about whatever you like. However, this does not mean that every post content is acceptable.

This is an incomplete list of things that are not ok:

- fighting, insulting, calling names
    - posting questionable things with a "disclaimer"
    - posting questionable things with the note "if a mod thinks that this is not ok, he should feel free to delete it". If a mod has to edit your post, you are already in violation.
    - posting copyrighted material. This includes using [img ] tags to display images from other web sides -- if you are not sure that these images are not copyrighted, don't post them.
    - insulting prominent persons, e.g. politicians or CEOs of various companies.

A few times I have seen poeple say that the moderators are "spoiling the fun" of the forum. I think that this is not the case, as we seldom have edited or deleted posts -- not to speak about closing threads.
    Last edited by Gabriel Fleseriu; July 14th, 2004 at 01:01 PM.

As the admin, let me make a couple of points here as well.

(1)
    I've asked all the moderators to make as *few* moderations as possible. We only moderate when we feel it is absolutely necessary. I believe this allows the board to stay true to the community.

(2)
    While you may know that you are only poking fun at each other, you need to consider the thousands of other people who read the messages here. They don't know everyone that frequents this board. As such, when they read your "friendly insults" and such, they don't know that they are friendly. This gives these people a negative attitude towards the board. I know this, because I get e-mails and PMs regarding the posts. In general, do the fun jabs in PMs. When writing online, remember, hundreds of others are reading your posts.

(3)
    Moderators can have fun too. A little fun mixed in is not a bad thing. The main purpose of allowing the "General Discussion" forum is to allow a little fun.

Brad!

Exclamation Posts Don't Count

Because CodeGuru is about coding and about the sharing of information on technical topics, I've made an executive decision. I made this decision based on feedback from a number of members in the CodeGuru community.

Because the general discussion is off topic and does not related to the technical topics that make CodeGuru great, from this point forward, postings in this forum will not count towards user rankings.

If you have questions or issues with this, please address them to me via a Private Message (PM) or email.

Thanks,

Brad Jones
    Last edited by Brad Jones; January 5th, 2003 at 12:30 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Rules of the General Discussion / Chit Chat Forum

Hello everybody!

As you probably know, there was a discussion lately, whether posts in the Chit-Chat Forum should stay on topic or not. We (the modarators) have discussed the issue together with the site admin (Brad Jones) and decided to set up a new guideline:
    • When starting a thread that you want to keep on topic, please explicitely state so.
    • When posting into "on topic" threads, please respect the the thread starter and the other posters, and stay on topic.
    • If you think that someone has posted off-topic in such a thread, please use a PM to ask that person to remove her post. Telling someone in a public thread, as opposed to via PM, that they are off-topic is in itself off-topic.
    • Please avoid starting public flamewars for being off topic.
    • Finaly, please note that this guideline explicitely aims self moderation. It can only work if a majority of the participants show that they are serious and mature enough. To be explicit, we (the moderators) will avoid jumping the gun and arbitrating, but let the group dynamics do its work.

I hope that this new guideline is satisfactory for people demanding on topic discussions (e.g. Sam) and also doesn't disrupt the tradition of the Chit-Chat forum. To say it again, we hope that the group dynamics will separate serious posters from the Noise Company. This guideline will not lead to more moderation actions in the Chit-Chat Forum.

Thanks for reading this. Your oppinions are, as always, welcome. But please stay on topic.
    Last edited by Gabriel Fleseriu; July 14th, 2004 at 01:00 PM.