CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: VB vs VC++

VB vs VC++

Hi all,

C++ is more efficient and faster than VB, right?

well as I was developing an app, I learned that VB can do things a lot faster than VC++, like Ms word Automation!!!

I wrote an app that populate formfields, many of them, it took quite long in VC++, and all the automation overhead. I then played with VB (I am not a VB programmer) only to find out that it was much faster. someone please help.

thanks
    The most knowledgeable people are those who know that they know nothing.

Are you comparing performance or development time?

Kuphryn

I am comparing performance

The performance of the VB version i far better.

I don't understand it at all

well as I was developing an app, I learned that VB can do things a lot faster than VC++, like Ms word Automation!!!
    as I recall and I'm probably talking out my rear since I have not confirmed this via disassembly...but VB is optimized for the above.

if that is the case, then it makes sense

Its the only logical explanation

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mick
    as I recall and I'm probably talking out my rear since I have not confirmed this via disassembly...but VB is optimized for the above.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily slower in C++. You can actually get better speed in C++ for Word automation than in VB, provided that you optimise your code correctly. For example, you can use vtbl calls instead of IDispatch if you know which Office version you're using. In case you don't know, you can cache the dispids of the required functions etc.

The thing is that it's so much easier to do automation in VB and there is no scope for making inefficient use of calling (ok some, but not much), but in C++ you can greatly mess up things if you're using the wrong approach.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.