CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

InternetSetOption with INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT does not have any effect

Hello,

I am setting the timeout value for my HTTP handle using the above method. The problem is whatever value I put e.g. 1ms, the connection is never timedout even if the process of executing and getting the result takes more then 1ms.

From MSDN:

INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT
    Sets or retrieves an unsigned long integer value that contains the time-out value to use for Internet connection requests. Units are in milliseconds. If a connection request takes longer than this time-out value, the request is canceled. When attempting to connect to multiple IP addresses for a single host (a multihome host), the timeout limit is cumulative for all of the IP addresses. This option can be used on any HINTERNET handle, including a NULL handle. It is used by InternetQueryOption and InternetSetOption.
    I am using the following code:

Code:
    	bool ret = InternetSetOption ( m_InternetConnect, INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT, &timeout, sizeof(timeout) );
    	assert ( ret );
    It never fails in assert also?

Am I doing anything wrong...

Regards,
    Karam

See Q176420, which describes, why timeouts cannot be set with InternetSetOption (Bug with Microsoft)
    The Saviour of the World is a Penguin and Linus Torvalds is his Prophet.

Re: InternetSetOption with INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT does not have any effect

Thanks a lot buddy

This brings to my next problem which is very similar. Now if I using the method:

ret = InternetSetOption ( m_InternetConnect, INTERNET_OPTION_RECEIVE_TIMEOUT, &timeout, sizeof(timeout) );

and say timeout = 10.

Whenever, I use the following method:

InternetWriteFile( m_HttpOpenRequest, data, datalen, &byteswritten );

I get the error:

Error Code : 12019
    The handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation

Shouldnt it return some error like : Reuqest timed out.

On second thought I did a google and came across this Knowledge base - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;177190

As suggested I am now using INTERNET_FLAG_NO_CACHE_WRITE, but still the problem remains.

BTW, if I increase the timeout value - everything works. So I was just wondering, is the error message correct?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Karam