CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serialization crashing only release version! Help!

Hi!

I'm working on a mfc mdi app. I have implemented a serialization routine in order to save / open files. While it works great in Debug version (it's a pretty simple code), it crashes the app in Release version when trying to open a file.

Release version works great when saving, but you can't open a file without a crash. In fact, a file saved by the release version can be opened by the debug one.

The fun fact is that I removed all the code from the Serialize func in my CDocument derived class (except CDocumment::Serialize(ar) call) and the app still crashes!

As a note, I have checked that the crash occurs after the serialization process has finished, I can guess that when trying to show the window...

I can't find an explanation for this anywhere, so any info will be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Serialization crashing only release version! Help!

Take a look at this J.Newcomer's article:Debug vs. Release

Sounds like "Help me, my code works fine in debug, but not in release. Any ideas?"... If you will not provide your code - probably nobody can help you.

The only thing I can suggest - is to add some MessageBox() calls to find a place where crash occurs. Or you can use a file to log events in. Don't forget to flush file buffer after every write.
    With best wishes, Alexander Hritonenkov

1. enable the debug information on the release mode ( search the forum's FAQ for details)
    2. run you app until it crahses
    3. check where and why crashes
    Har Har

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler
    The only thing I can suggest - is to add some MessageBox() calls to find a place where crash occurs. Or you can use a file to log events in.
    There's no need for message boxes or logfiles - you can debug a release build. Hava a look at this FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    There's no need for message boxes or logfiles - you can debug a release build.
    Yes, I know. But sometimes some messageboxes is a quicklier solution than debugging the release build.
    And I can say more - in my current project there was a problem like this - i tried to debug release build, but every time I added the debug info, program crash disappears! So the only way was to debug it via log.
    And, of course, when you developing, for example, for PocketPC - debug on remote machine is so slow...
    With best wishes, Alexander Hritonenkov

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler
    And I can say more - in my current project there was a problem like this - i tried to debug release build, but every time I added the debug info, program crash disappears!
    That seems near to impossible - if you choose to use the program database for the debug info (which is the default), your object code isn't even changed - it's exactly the same like in a release build without debug info, and can't behave differently.

Quote Originally Posted by gstercken
    That seems near to impossible - if you choose to use the program database for the debug info (which is the default), your object code isn't even changed - it's exactly the same like in a release build without debug info, and can't behave differently.
    Maybe it had to do with other settings, like "Optimisations".
    Har Har

Wow this is pretty strange!

First of all, I loaded a previous version of the project, in which there was not any Serialization yet implemented (so loading a file has no effect over the document, which has the default constructor needed) and the problem persists.

I have tried to debug the release version, however, as far as I try to debug it, the problem dissapears (I have not placed any breakpoint). Now, run the same release version and you obtain the crash again. What does it mean? That I can't debug in order to find where the crash occurs...

I also tried the AfxMessageBox approach, but the crash seems to happen outside of my own code.

I can't really imagine where the failure can be, since all this is happening with no serialization code!!!

Anyway, thanks to all!

Try to isolate the crash as narrow as possible. What is the last thing that you do before the crash happens ( menu click, button click etc).
    Har Har

As far as I try to open a previously saved file, the app crashes. The serialization code works fine, so it seems to occur when trying to show the window.

Can't imagine a solution for this...

Quote Originally Posted by jettocrack
    I have tried to debug the release version, however, as far as I try to debug it, the problem dissapears (I have not placed any breakpoint). Now, run the same release version and you obtain the crash again. What does it mean? That I can't debug in order to find where the crash occurs...
    That shouldn't be a problem: While a program might behave differently when run in the debugger (different memory layout, timing etc.), you can still use just-in-time debugging. So run your app (the release build with the debug info). When it crashes, you get a message box which informs you about the problem. Click the "Debug" button in that ´message box - that will start the VC++ IDE and load your source code into the debugger, pointing at the line where the crash occured.

I'm trying this, however, since Visual Studio .NET is also installed on the computer (my project is a VS6 app), the default debugger is .NET, and don't know how to change it.

I have no idea of the .NET arch, altough it seems it's possible to debug with it...

Does anybody know how to restore VS6 as the default debugger?

Quote Originally Posted by jettocrack
    Does anybody know how to restore VS6 as the default debugger?
    I'm not sure if this works (since I don't have a parallel installation) - but you could try to go to Options / Debug and turn off "Just-In-Time Debugging" (in VS7, of course).

I finally solved the problem, it was simpler than I can thought...

What I can't imagine is how the app managed to work in debug mode....

Thanks to all, can't imagine how useful your help has been!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast