CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Tab key not working in VS

Gurus,

My TAB key (inside editor) is not working inside VS. Alt+Tab works, Ctrl+Tab works. so keyboard doesn't have any problem. Anybody have any clue why it could be? I checked my macros and none of it is using TAB as a key stroke.

Thanks in advance.

malu

Re: Tab key not working in VS

Tools menu, Options.

Click the Tab tab. Is tab size set to 0?

Not it is set to 4. Still not working

Can anybody please give a solution to this problem.?

Sorry, that is a strange one. I can only suggest general ideas.

Does tab work in other programs?

In Visual Studio, does it misbehave only the editor? Can you press and release the Alt key to activate the main menu, and then press tab to move from menu item to menu item? Can you open a dialog (e.g. Tools Options) and use the Tab key to step around the dialog?

Create a simple source file and make a copy of it. Open a copy, press tab, and save it. Then open both as binary files. Check what differences there are.

Carefully check your options. You can make the Visual Studio editor emulate other editors (compatibility tab). Have you done so? Find out where the Visual Studio options are stored and erase (or rename) that file.

Perhaps your macros are doing something you don't expect. Turn them off.

Have you installed any operating system service packs? If so, you may need to re-run Visual Studio service packs.

Do you have disability options turned on like sticky keys (press the shift key 5 times on some operating systems, or go to the control panel).

Thanks very much for the reply. It was really helpful. I still don't know what made it work but as you suggested I changed to a different editor choice (VC++ 2.0) and then change backed to VS. Now my tab key started to work. I appreciate your help very much