CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Strange Behaviour in ADO, any ideas why this happens?

I have a program that gets data from one table using a Stored Procedure (say sp_StoredProc1) which is working fine. I substituted a different Stored procedure (say sp_StoredProc2) in place of sp_StoredProc1. I got Error: Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'N'. The Stored Procedures are exactly the same with the exception that they Select from different tables (tables are identitical, just different data). I ran both Queries through QueryAnalyzer, so I know that they both work and return the correct Data. The funny part is that if I remove the parantheses (like sp_StoredProc2 'N'), then the second Query works fine!

I was wondeing if anyone has come across this before? I have already fixed it by removing the parentheses, I'm just interested in finding out why one works and the other doesn't.

Here's a sample of my code (I use ADO 2.5):
    Code:
    strQuery = "sp_StoredProc1('N')"

Set rsData = Nothing

If rsData Is Nothing Then
         Set rsData = cnConnection.Execute(strQuery, 0, adAsyncExecute)
    Else
         rsData.Requery
    End If

If rsData.State <> adStateExecuting Then  '<-- Breaks here when I replace sp_StoredProc1 with sp_StoredProc2
         'Code Here
    End If
    I'd rather be wakeboarding...

Re: Strange Behaviour in ADO, any ideas why this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by malleyo
    I have a program that gets data from one table using a Stored Procedure (say sp_StoredProc1) which is working fine. I substituted a different Stored procedure (say sp_StoredProc2) in place of sp_StoredProc1. I got Error: Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'N'. The Stored Procedures are exactly the same with the exception that they Select from different tables (tables are identitical, just different data). I ran both Queries through QueryAnalyzer, so I know that they both work and return the correct Data. The funny part is that if I remove the parantheses (like sp_StoredProc2 'N'), then the second Query works fine!

I was wondeing if anyone has come across this before? I have already fixed it by removing the parentheses, I'm just interested in finding out why one works and the other doesn't.

Here's a sample of my code (I use ADO 2.5):
    Code:
    strQuery = "sp_StoredProc1('N')"

Set rsData = Nothing

If rsData Is Nothing Then
         Set rsData = cnConnection.Execute(strQuery, 0, adAsyncExecute)
    Else
         rsData.Requery
    End If

If rsData.State <> adStateExecuting Then  '<-- Breaks here when I replace sp_StoredProc1 with sp_StoredProc2
         'Code Here
    End If
    If you think about this: "The funny part is that if I remove the parantheses (like sp_StoredProc2 'N'), then the second Query works fine!" the answer should be apparent - Do you have any kind of return value on 1st procedure? The procedure working like that after making the change you did indicates there is not return value ...

There is no Return Value. Both are Select Statements that return 1000 rows (or less) in a recordset.

you might try:
    Code:
    Dim rsData as adodb.recordset
    set rsData=new adodb.recordset

Dim cmd as adodb.command
    Set cmd = new ADODB.Command

cmd.CommandText = "sp_StoredProc1"

cmd.Parameters.Add cmd.CreateParameter("@ParameterName", adVarchar, adParamInput, 1, "N")

cmd.activeconnection=YourConnectionObject
    rsData.Open cmd
    or, if you do not want the command object:
    Code:
    Set rsData = Connection.Execute("EXEC sp_StoredProc1 @TheParmName ='N'")
    Last edited by Cimperiali; November 4th, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

Cimperiali: Thanks for your suggestion. Your first example is how I normally write my ADO stuff. The code in my original post was written by someone else. All I had to do was remove the parenteses and it worked fine. I was just curious if anyone knew why it broke with one Stored Proc and not the other.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!