I'm having some problem with my Visual Studio.NET 2003 (.NET 1.1 SP1) install. I am unable to use the web forms designer with any aspx file whose form class inherits from a base class. I'm implementing the page controller design pattern and everything has been working fine until now. My form inherits from a base class called CampusNET.CampusPage. The class exists, is included in the project and compiles just fine. If I replace the base class for my form with the standard System.Web.UI.Page, the designer can open the form without any problems, but as soon as I try to inherit from my base class, it breaks down. I've tried it with an empty base class, but the problem remains. Including the base class in the same aspx.cs file doesn't help either.

The base class is not abstract so that's not the issue. Neither is the problem related to the registry entry that leads to the "Illegal character in path" error. The full error message looks like this:

"The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please correct the following error and then try loading it again:

The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in the file:

MenuTest --- The base class 'CampusNET.CampusPage' could not be loaded.

Ensure the assembly has been referenced or built if it is part of the project.

Make sure all of the classes used in the page are build or referenced in the project. Click Help for more information."

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I really need to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Regards
Rickard Andersson