CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

VB .NET VS. C# .NET, which one is fast?

Considering running speed, VB .NET VS. C# .NET, which one is fast? Some guys told me that bascially they are the same, is that true? In my program, it needs lots of computation. I tested VB.NET and VB6, it seems VB6 is faster. I do not know C#, however, if it is much faster, then maybe I should take some time to learn it.

thanks

Re: VB .NET VS. C# .NET, which one is fast?

YOUR coding style will have much more of an impact on performance than the choice between VB.NET and C#.

VB6 vs VB.NET is a little more difficult to pin down performance issues.

If application level performance is a real concern (and you would have to show me some detailed measurements to convince me that it is!!!), then I would avoid any of these languages.

99.99534% of all programs are NOT performance oriented. There may be SOME code within the application where performance matters, but in the rest of it, clear design and implementation considerations should outweight performance issues by a large margin.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Re: VB .NET VS. C# .NET, which one is fast?

If you 6.0 is running faster than you .NET you probably aren't taking advantage of new .NET stuff. ie, using strings instead of stringbuilder, etc. Can you post the code?