dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Winsock vs Third Party OCX

Winsock vs Third Party OCX

I need to add email features to my VB6 application. I found several samples on internet and one of them does everything on my development machine outside of the office. Compiled version installed on the user machine doesn't work by some reason. Maybe some configuration for company mail server or something else required. Unfortunately I have no experience with network, security, mail etc.

I also see tons of third party controls (OCXs, DLLs) on internet. What do they do comparing to free Winsock? I downloaded a couple of tryial versions. None of samples work.
    So what's the difference between free components and pretty expensive ones?

Thank you
    Vlad

Re: Winsock vs Third Party OCX

In case you didn't see this one, check out vbSendMail.dll, uses the standard winsock but is an excellent dll with loads of functionality.

I've checked out a few other sockets components, the ones I've looked at just seem to wrap around the existing MS APIs so they are basically using the same code.....they just seem to have some additional methods / events etc that were left out of Microsofts.

I wouldn't bother unless you are going to do some serious sockets programming, MS's version seems to do most things.

If you want to get into the ins & outs of sockets API then check out CSocket, quite a good implementation of WinSock.

Thank you.
    Everything I need is just to send a bunch of mail to the recepients taken from SQL Server table.
    What will be the difference in using that DLL instead of Winsock?
    My current scenario with Winsock is working on my development machine outside of company network - I'm working from home.
    The problem in my weak knowledge of network stuff (configuring MS Exchange or I even do not know what should be done in order to make my app work in the office)
    My question was about difference between free components and for instance email component from www.perfectionbytes.com which costs $200 and its samples don't work even on my development machine?
    I sent them email but no answer yet

Vlad

The vbSendMail.dll example uses Winsock, it just has a class that exposes all of the emailing functionality & hides winsock from you....

You would only write code like...

Code:
        Dim objSendMail As vbSendMail.CSendMail
        With objSendMail 

.SMTPHost = "YOUR SMTP SERVER"                 
            .FromDisplayName = "Dmorley@codeguru.com"
            .Recipient = "vchapran@CodeGuru.com"               
            .Subject = "Test"           
            .Message = "Test"          
            .AsHTML = True
            .Send                                   

End With
    There are lots of configurable parameters, you'd be able to send from home using a POP3 server (mail.btOpenworld.com or similar) or SMTP host from work....!

I'm sure the one from www.perfectionbytes.com is a solid component, but why not try the free options first to see if they will work....then you have the source to amend to your needs!