CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to access VDU Ram through a VB Program

Hi,Techno Geeks , I am doing a project on REMOTE DESKTOP MONITORING( watching Client Desktops by sitting on a server). I did that by capturing Client Desktop Image as jpg and i sent them to the Server.In the server,using VB Picture Box Control,i displayed at considerable rate . I feel it is not that much efficient. I want to access the VDU ram of Client Directly and display on the Server machine Screen. Can anyone help me doing this in VB

Re: How to access VDU Ram through a VB Program

i dont understand what you are to achieve with this; you want to access the ram directly and do what with it? how will it be any different to having PrtScrn do a copymemory from the vdu area to the clipboard memory?

the most inefficient part of this is the JPEG encoding; its taking long time, and is a bit slow.. plus JPEG is for photographs and other pictures with gradual changes in colour. for screenshots it is a very poor idea, leading to much visual artifacts and distortion. use gif or some better algorithm.. also you can do Alt+PrtScrn to picture just the active window, as an optimization.. or you can look at just the pic of picture that changed since lat time and send only those pixels.. much scope for improvement before playign with vdu ram
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Thank you sir for ur reply..What I did actually is "what u said".. I captured PrintScreen Image from ClipBoard and sent to the Server( along with options like viewing in 2bit color mode,16 bit color mode,256 bit color mode.).. Also I captured "Active Window also".....What I am actually asking is," Can i redirect the VDU Ram of the Client to the Server's VDU Ram so that i can see the screen on the Client as it is on Server's monitor. In this process,the Client should not know anything about the process." I feel U understand the problem,if u get an answer ,please reply me.

is it not what you are already doing? i mean, youre taking a fast memory copy (prtscrn to buffer the screen onto the clipboard), and putting it across a network.. which is slow.

now originally you were asking about how to speed this memory copy.. now youre asking about speeding up the client/server link? im lost..
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ