CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

HTML to BMP in VB.NET

I need to save an HTML file as a BMP. I've been able to to a "screen capture" and get a BMP that way, but what is not visible on the screen at the time is not saved. Is there a way to capture the entire HTML page in VB.NET and save it as an image?

Thanks in advance

Re: HTML to BMP in VB.NET

I'm actually replying to my own post in hopes of generating a possible solution. Here is the code I have thus far...

Dim doc As mshtml.HTMLDocument = DirectCast(Me.AxWebBrowser1.Document, mshtml.HTMLDocument)
    Dim bodyElement As mshtml.IHTMLElement
    Dim render2 As IHTMLElementRender

bodyElement = doc.body
    render2 = bodyElement

Dim BitMap AsNew Bitmap(600, 400)
    Dim g As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(BitMap)
    Dim memDC As IntPtr
    Dim CCBHandle As IntPtr
    Dim memDC2 As mshtml._RemotableHandle
    Dim tt AsInteger

memDC = g.GetHdc()
    Try
    render2.DrawToDC(memDC)
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.ToString)
    EndTry

Try
    BitMap.FromHbitmap(memDC)
    Catch exc As Exception
    MsgBox(Err.Description)
    MsgBox(exc.ToString)
    EndTry

BitMap.Save("c:\newread\test.tif", System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Tiff)
    MsgBox("Image created!")

I don't get an error on my DrawToDC() function, so I feel like I've rendered my HTML page to the Device Context in memory, but by golly I'm not entirely sure.

Does anyone have further insight in this matter; how to insert what I've rendered into a bitmap? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks much

"Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass."

Trouble in Rivercity...still need solution!

You can use BitBlt to copy from on hDC to another:

Private Declare Function BitBlt Lib "gdi32" (ByVal hDestDC As Integer, ByVal x As Integer, ByVal y As Integer, ByVal nWidth As Integer, ByVal nHeight As Integer, ByVal hSrcDC As Integer, ByVal xSrc As Integer, ByVal ySrc As Integer, ByVal dwRop As Integer) As Integer
    Private Const SRCCOPY = &HCC0020

Pass SRCCOPY as teh dwRop Parameter.

How??? You'll have to spell it out for me as if I was a first grader, cuz right now my brain is about fried trying to figure this doggone thing out.

Actually, after having reviewed your code again, you're already putting it into the bitmaps hDC, so all you should need is:

Dim doc As mshtml.HTMLDocument = DirectCast(Me.AxWebBrowser1.Document, mshtml.HTMLDocument)
    Dim bodyElement As mshtml.IHTMLElement
    Dim render2 As IHTMLElementRender

bodyElement = doc.body
    render2 = bodyElement

Dim BitMap AsNew Bitmap(600, 400)
    Dim g As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(BitMap)

memDC = g.GetHdc()
    Try
    render2.DrawToDC(memDC)
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.ToString)
    EndTry

BitMap.Save("c:\newread\test.tif", System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Tiff)
    MsgBox("Image created!")

I don't us those browser controls, so I'm assuming DrawToDC is doing what we think it is.

Thanks a million for taking the time to respond to this thread, it means a lot to me.

I tried modifying my code with your suggestions and it saved a "black" image. The webpage displayed in my axWebBrowser (www.yahoo.com) did not appear as my saved bitmap.

DrawToDC as far as I can tell draws the contents of my axWebBrowser to a specified device context, which is memDC in this case

render2.DrawToDC(memDC)

I think my next step is to perform a BitBlt or maybe a CreateCompatibleBitmap??? I'm not entirely sure? In fact, I'm not actually sure about any of my code except for my DirectCast captures the contents of my axWebBrowser into a document. But from there on end I'm sure of nothing...

Any thoughts?
    Ben

Well I figured out how to capture the Web Browser, scroll down a page, capture again, and continue until I'm at the end. Then I just concatenate all the images together into one. It's "flashy" and a "tad too early 90s", but it works.

Anyone have a method of capturing the Web Browser in one quick, swift stroke? VB.NET

Thanks
    Ben

woklet,

I am looking at trying to save a html to an image as well. So I can surf the web on my PVR. Do you mind sharing the code that you have for doing this?

Jdubin

Quote Originally Posted by woklet
    Well I figured out how to capture the Web Browser, scroll down a page, capture again, and continue until I'm at the end. Then I just concatenate all the images together into one. It's "flashy" and a "tad too early 90s", but it works.

Anyone have a method of capturing the Web Browser in one quick, swift stroke? VB.NET

Thanks
    Ben
    This is a good article describing how to do this:

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/IECapture.asp

However, no one seems to have fixed the "black screen" problem on some sites, for example msn.com. I'm trying to figure out why it's happening, it might be a problem with the doctype, or flash ads or something. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sire

i like the idea of saving html to an image , that's because i just in love with a new image converter.

This thread is 6 Years old! really....