CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Old Microsoft C V6.0 workaround

I have some old Microsoft 'C' software (V6.0) that is still useful from time to time for some of our customers. I'm trying to come up with a workaround for a problem on 2000 and XP, but there may not be one other than rewriting the entire code in Windows. It may or may not be worth the effort.

It seems as though the 'setvideomode()' command (using non-text modes) has interface problems with XP and 2000 in that if the program is started, any shift to another window while the program is still executing causes the program to freeze up when returning back to that software window. Also, after the program is started, any minimizing of the window causes the same freeze up. One obvious workaround is the make sure that you never change windows during that software session. Anyone else ever experienced that and has anyone know of a workaround? Thanks.

Re: Old Microsoft C V6.0 workaround

Well I have never heard of the API function 'SetVideoMode()' and what it actually does ... Can you explain this function more in detail to me? Is it an old DOS function? Or self-written?
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

It's a function provided by Microsoft 'C' V6.0. It's listed in the Graphics Modes section in the Microsoft 'C' Bible. It is used to set up graphics hardware to work in one of 20 modes that are listed in a header file included by MC 6.0. Any of these modes other than text mode causes the problem that I alluded to. The mode I am using is 640x480, color mode.

Well... Why not using one of the new functions provided by the windows API? Take a look at the following thread: Change display settings ...
    Use the Code Tags!

This is an old DOS based program from years ago compiled under MC 6.0 compiler. Someone told me I couldn't implement the API functions into this type of program, unless it was a console ap in text mode. I can't use text mode for all the graphics involved. If not true, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge55
    This is an old DOS based program from years ago compiled under MC 6.0 compiler. Someone told me I couldn't implement the API functions into this type of program, unless it was a console ap in text mode. I can't use text mode for all the graphics involved. If not true, I'm all ears.
    Well ... Old DOS programs should not be recompiled now, those are out of fashion. Windows NT subsystem of DOS does not implement all functions. Especially not the graphics modes. The new command line interpreter of NT "cmd.exe" does not support any graphics mode.
    Use the Code Tags!