CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Why custom paper size cannot be used on other machine?

I created a customized paper size on dev machine named "DO" on "EPSON" printer, then designed the report I wanted. The report looks fine when run, the way I want the format to be. Then I compiled my vb.net application and copied the application & report to client machine. I created the customized paper size, gave the name "DO" on the "EPSON" printer (using same driver as on dev machine). Then I run the application to generate the same "DO", but the preview of the report showed in "Letter" format instead of the "DO" format I created. What did I do wrong?

The "DO" format prints like this:
    some headers...
    details...(10 lines)
    page footer... (some lines)

on the client machine?
    same headers...
    details...(10 lines)
    blank lines...(lots of them!!!)
    page footer...

I tried setting default paper size on "EPSON" printer to "DO"...but in preview it still shows "Letter"...and when i print...headers and details appear...but not page details...

what am i doing wrong??? please help...what m i missing to get the "DO" format to work on the client machine???

Re: Why custom paper size cannot be used on other machine?

Hi,

By defaut crystal report will take printer default setting, if you changed manually in crystal report printer setup, then it will print the report file printsetttings.

Make sure the selected page setup will support in other machine printers.

yours friendly,
    K.Babu

Quote Originally Posted by insearchof
    I created a customized paper size on dev machine named "DO" on "EPSON" printer, then designed the report I wanted. The report looks fine when run, the way I want the format to be. Then I compiled my vb.net application and copied the application & report to client machine. I created the customized paper size, gave the name "DO" on the "EPSON" printer (using same driver as on dev machine). Then I run the application to generate the same "DO", but the preview of the report showed in "Letter" format instead of the "DO" format I created. What did I do wrong?

The "DO" format prints like this:
    some headers...
    details...(10 lines)
    page footer... (some lines)

on the client machine?
    same headers...
    details...(10 lines)
    blank lines...(lots of them!!!)
    page footer...

I tried setting default paper size on "EPSON" printer to "DO"...but in preview it still shows "Letter"...and when i print...headers and details appear...but not page details...

what am i doing wrong??? please help...what m i missing to get the "DO" format to work on the client machine???
    Please avoid sending emails to my personal mail:
    write your doubts as thread in Codeguru
    Crystal Reports Forum

This will help all people having similar matters, and will let people who know solutions on the specific topic
    share their knowledge.

Visit my company web site (Qmax Test Equipments Private Limited)

Yours friendly,
    K.Babu

Unhappy Re: Why custom paper size cannot be used on other machine?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Babu
    Hi,

By defaut crystal report will take printer default setting, if you changed manually in crystal report printer setup, then it will print the report file printsetttings.

Make sure the selected page setup will support in other machine printers.

yours friendly,
    K.Babu
    Here is how I did it, I installed the epson driver, then added a format named "DO" with customized widthxheight. Then in CR, I go to printer setup to choose the "DO" format to deisgn the report. When I preview the report in VB.NET application, it works fine and so does the printing.
    When I deploy the application to client machine, I also installed the same driver, created the same customized paper "DO". But when I generate the report, the report is generated in "Letter" format. I even go to the extend of setting the EPSON printer as default printer...choose the default paper size to "DO"...but to no avail...the report is still being generated in "Letter" format...
    Cant figure out what went wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by insearchof
    Here is how I did it, I installed the epson driver, then added a format named "DO" with customized widthxheight. Then in CR, I go to printer setup to choose the "DO" format to deisgn the report. When I preview the report in VB.NET application, it works fine and so does the printing.
    When I deploy the application to client machine, I also installed the same driver, created the same customized paper "DO". But when I generate the report, the report is generated in "Letter" format. I even go to the extend of setting the EPSON printer as default printer...choose the default paper size to "DO"...but to no avail...the report is still being generated in "Letter" format...
    Cant figure out what went wrong...
    I found the same problem.
    I can't even print corrently dev machine.

I'm using win XP, VS.NET 2003 (VB.NET), crystal report 9

I have solved this problem.
    The solution is to create a print button yourself and don't the print button of report viewer.

You may refer to
    http://support.businessobjects.com/l...s/c2011657.asp

use printtoprinter method as mentioned in the kbase
    Set the custom paper size be the default paper size of printer

when you created the crystal report, do NOT choose any EPSON printer at "printer setting". I've selected a RICOH printer instead at "printer setting" and then work fine at client's EPSON printer!!

However, if I selected EPSON at printer setting, it can't work well even at preview!!