CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

force ADAM replication

I believe the DsReplicaSyncAll function in ntdsapi.dll and the ReplicaSyncAll function in iadstools.dll can force replication programmatically.

Does anyone know how to achieve it through .NET or c#?
    Thanks

I have the following code but the error is The error returned was: ERROR_BIND_TO_REMOTE_SERVER_FAILED

welcome all suggestioons.

using IADsTools;
    string RemoteServer="capia1.capd.com:389";
    string NamingContext="O=KKK,C=SG";
    string SourceReplica="capia1.capd.com:389";
    int UseFlags=0;
    short UseCreds=1;

string UserName="user";
    string DomainName="capd";
    string UserDN="CN=user,CN=Users,DC=CAPD,DC=com";
    string PassWord="password";

int error=0;
    IADsTools._DCFunctions DLL=new IADsTools.DCFunctionsClass();
    DLL.SetUserCredentials(ref UserName,ref DomainName,ref UserDN,ref PassWord);

error=DLL.ReplicaSync(ref RemoteServer,ref NamingContext,ref SourceReplica,ref UseFlags,ref UseCreds);

if(error==-1){
    Console.WriteLine("The error returned was: {0}",DLL.LastErrorText);
    }
    else
    {
    Console.WriteLine("The command completed successfully");
    }

Re: force ADAM replication

I have never worked with ReplicaSync - so I did some looking......

From MSDN:
    user_name is the down-level user name of an account in the domain.
    domain_name is the NetBIOS domain name of the user account.
    user_LDAP_dn is not required for the ReplicaSync function but can be specified. This is the Distinguished Name of the user account specified.
    password is the password for the user.
    I would try to replace the UserDN variable with "" in the SetUserCredentials call - to force it to use the username domain combination - this eliminates the possibility of the DN being incorrect.

Also, I am not sure how the actual ReplicaSync call will work since you are trying to sync the directory server with itself.

Actually there is no problem with the SetUserCredentials function.The problem lies with the ReplicaSync function. I change the SourceReplica value to "capia2.capd.com:389" and it still gives me the same error. As i am dealing with the Application Mode of AD, the server name together with the port number will give the actual location of the instance, i am not sure the iadstools functions are suitable for use.

I would not expect you to receive an error on the SetUserCredentials call - since it is probably doing nothing more than loading a storage structure of some type that is used in the ReplicaSync call.

The error - ERROR_BIND_TO_REMOTE_SERVER_FAILED - would only show up in the ReplicaSync call because that is where the binds to the servers happen.

I think you would get a different error if you were able to bind but the sync would not work.