CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

pure virtual functions in a DLL

ok... first, let me say that I was playing with pure virtual functions, and got it to work all in one app. This is how I did, it really:

in TheClass.h (example):
    Code:
    class CMyClass
    {
        public:
              CMyClass();

virtual void Initialize() = 0;
    };
    in TheClass.cpp:
    Code:
    #include "TheClass.h"

CMyClass::CMyClass()
    {
        Initialize();
    }
    in Main.cpp:
    Code:
    #include "TheClass.h"
    class MyClass2 : public CMyClass
    {
      public:
        void Initialize()
        {
           cout << "YAY!" << endl;
        }
    }

int main()
    {
      MyClass2  Blah;

//some random code

return 0;
    }
    That worked all in one app, just fine. So, while expirementing with it, I figured it'd be useful if I could put TheClass.h and TheClass.cpp into a DLL. The compiling worked great, but then linking came, and it said along the lines of:

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall CMyClass::Initialize(void)"referenced in function "public: __thiscall CMyClass::CMyClass(void)"

So, my question is, is there any way that I can seperate it into a DLL like that? I tried taking off the "= 0" and doing just a "{ cout << "ok" << endl; }" thing, and that worked great, but then the new function created in the app was never called.

I guess it's fine if it can't be done, but I figured I'd see if someone knows a way anyway... I guess I'm just figuring mabye it's possible, and then I can make use of it.

Thanks!

Re: pure virtual functions in a DLL

Ok, someone just gave me a tip that it doesn't work when in the constructor and destructor... with some playing around, I found that my problem was exactly that. Looking back over the code I had used previously, I now recall I didn't use a constructor or destructor, but that didn't really phase me until someone brought up to me that it couldn't be done that way.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheetah
    guess it's fine if it can't be done, but I figured I'd see if someone knows a way anyway... I guess I'm just figuring mabye it's possible, and then I can make use of it.
    Well... what would be the point of having a pure virtual function in a DLL? A DLL is meant to provide an implementation - code which can be linked at run time and executed. The whole point about a pure virtual function, in contrast, is that it has no implementation - it represents just an interface for an implementation to be provided elsewhere. So a "pure virtual function in a DLL" is just something that doesn't make any sense.

If you want to create CMyCalss in your app you should exprot CMyClass from dll.
    There is another way just like COM's methord.
    endless song