CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Taking over project - lone ranger

Wanted to get some feedback as I prepare to meet with the original developer of a project I'm taking over. No one at my company knows anything about the application I'll be taking over, only this one developer, who has left the company. I'll get only a few days time with this person, and in an attempt to make the most of that time, I thought I would solicit your input. I am compiling a list of questions I want covered, but am concerned there will be that one "topic" I should have asked about when I had the chance, but didn't think about it.

I know you're all busy, but if you wouldn't mind tossing out say the top 3 things you would want to know (and if someone beats you to 1 or more of your top 3 things, then just substitute your next couple important questions

I appreciate your feedback.

Re: Taking over project - lone ranger

Here are the areas I would focus on:

- Requirements
    Try to get as complete a list of requirements as possible. In addition to the original developer (O.D.), also talk to the people that actually use the software. You need to understand what the app is doing.

- Big Picture Architecture
    Try to get the O.D. to draw you a picture (UML or whatever) of the overall architecture. Depending on the size of the app, this might be the various modules and how they interact, or maybe a class diagram if the app is smaller.

- Troublesome areas
    Try to get the O.D. to tell you about areas that are especially buggy (or prone to bugginess) or tricky.

Those are my ideas.
    --
    Scott