CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

About negative ratings

I have been rated negatively several times for almost non-sense reason, including the members not belonging to a given thread. The new members do not know when to rate properly and have been granted to repute negetive just after their 25 points.

I suggest to change this behaviour, the negative (and positive itself also, if necessary) ratings could be given by members only after some post count higher than 25.
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.

Re: About negative ratings

Just like reputations in the real world, there are always some negatives. Part of the reason for scaled power, is that newer people (those with fewer posts) have less of an impact than those that have been around longer (higher posts). While people can start rating at 25 posts (which is higher than on other forums), they only start with 1 point of power.

In the grand scheme of your reputation ratings, you've done very well having only lost 5 points -- of which 2 seemed reasonable per the comments.

We could also discuss inappropriate positive reputation points. I tend to see a lot more positive ratings that are not appropriate than I do negative. For example, see that the inappropriate positive ratings that you've gotten are much greater than the negative. You have double digit positive points for simply having had a birthday.....

------------------

The reputation system isn't perfect. The fact that the power level (the number of points people give in each rating) is scaled helps to offset newer people doing things 'wrong'. Reputations do, however, normalize over time to provide somewhat of an indicator to help people judge the experience level and quality of a person posting. It is just another guideline -- like post count and join date.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

To clarify from my previous post --

It is worth pointing out to others that may read this thread--- Ajay has over 400 reputation points. He has received 5 negative points. That indicates a 99% positive reputation. That is very good.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones
    For example, see that the inappropriate positive ratings that you've gotten are much greater than the negative. You have double digit positive points for simply having had a birthday.....
    I've already said that in the past. I consider that reputations in the chit-char forum should be prohibited. Not sure how this is possible with the software, but I don't see why could not be done. That forum is not couting for posts count so I believe it can be removed from the reputation system also.

PS: I have received reputation points in that forum too...

PPS:
    It is just another guideline -- like post count and join date.
    Is the join date suppose to tell anything?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

I thought we had disabled it in chit chat, but I see we didn't. I disabled it on VBForums' chit chat section. I'll see if I can remember how I did it (I think it was a bit of hacking....).

I agree - reputation points shouldn't be gotten in chit chat.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Let the screaming begin....

Rep ratings pulled off posts in Chit Chat and Testing.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

OK. I welcome the change.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Although non intentionally, I made (caused to) one more change at CodeGuru.com
    My latest article: Explicating the new C++ standard (C++0x)

Do rate the posts you find useful.

What about those of us who are not so high up as Ajay Vijay? I recently rated a post because it was posted 3 times, each at different times and the poster was acting childish over not getting a response. He/She turned right around and rated me a negative in a very helpful thread, claiming what I said was a lie. The link I posted with the thread he/she rated negative was even proof that my statement was completely true.

Is there anything that can be done about those who seem to just be lashing back at those who rate them negative?
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

If you believe a rating is unfair, you can point it out to me in an email or PM and when time allows, I'll review it. In general I will work to avoid changing reps, but....

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC