CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Sith happens! [Caution: Thread contains movie spoilers]

If you have seen Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith this is the place to talk about it. If you haven't, go see it and then come back for a chat.

IMO, this is the best SW movie of all the six. People says it is dark. I rather say it's tragic.

Anakin was not to be blamed for anything. He done all from love. I would do the same in his position...
    Last edited by cilu; May 20th, 2005 at 08:22 AM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: Sith happens!

Revenge of the Sith was a good movie although I don't know if could call it the best. It certainly outdid all the others in terms of visual effects; but that wasn't too hard considering the originals were made twenty+ years ago.

I do think Anakin was partially to blame for his downfall; after all, that is the trademark of any good tragic hero. I also found it interesting that Anakin's fall to the dark side was what caused the events that scared Anakin into considering the dark side to begin with. He was afraid of Padme dying, sought to save her, and the very path he chose to try to save her caused her death. His dream ended up a self-fulfilling prophecy. One wonders if he never had the dream if he would have fallen to the dark side or would the Jedi have percieved that he was headed down the wrong path and helped him turn away before it was too late.
    Death is life's special way of telling you you're fired.

For I do not seek to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand. For I believe this: unless I believe, I will not understand. - Anselm of Canterbury (1033–1109)

He didn't have this kind of dreams, premonitions for the first time. He had them (with his mother) before doing anything bad/evil/wrong (like killing the sand people that killed his mother).

The Jedi's minds were clouded by the dark side. They could not see that the Sith Lord was amoung them for such a long time. I think they were overwhelmed. They had their limits.

At the end of ROTS I finally understood the "death" of Obi-Wan and Yoda from the "original" movies. I always wondered why Obi-Wan and Yoda's bodies had disapeard while Darth Vader's, a Jedi also, didn't. He just died and his body was burnt. It was because he failed to find the very think he was up to when he fell to the dark side: immortality, the way to cheat death to save Padme. And Yoda and Obi-Wan found it with the help of Qui-Gon. I always though he was a great Jedi, though not a member of the council. He found what no other Jedi did...

I also think that the Jedi treated Anakin with much disrespect. How could they accept him in the council and not make him a master?

And what's the most important idea in the whole saga? That sometimes, to destroy evil you must become evil. And that's why the Jedi failed to understand that Anakin was indeed the one the prophecies told about. But first he had to become a Sith in order to destroy the Sith.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I am going to watch this movie tomorrow... but, let me admit - I don't know any of these characters, or have a clue about what they are gonna fight for...

Can anyone send a link that'll quickly update me on the profiles of the characters I will see?

Or explain the most important ones in a few words...

Sincere request from someone who ain't (yet) acquainted with the dark side...

+++++
    Quick Stats -
    Start Wars - ROTS has broken the record for the highest ever revenue earned by a movie in a day, ever.

50 mn USDs, Day 1.

You two have contributed to a part of it...

Start Wars - ROTS has broken the record for the highest ever revenue earned by a movie in a day, ever.

50 mn USDs, Day 1.
    I know. And this is just the beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    let me admit - I don't know any of these characters, or have a clue about what they are gonna fight for...

Can anyone send a link that'll quickly update me on the profiles of the characters I will see?

Or explain the most important ones in a few words...
    Sid, get outta here!! You haven't seen any SW episode ?! I've seen them all at least 6 times... (well I've only seen ROTS once, I could not buy a ticket today, so I had to postpone the second view for tomorrow...)

OK: here is the quick overview over the entire Star Wars saga.

It all began 28 years ago with SW EP 4: A New Hope. A young man Luke, from Tatooine, buys 2 robots, R2-D2 and C-3PO, which were sent on Tatooine by Princess Leia Organa to search for Obi-Wan Kenobi and determine him to help her and the Rebels agains the Empire and Darth Vader, who held her hostage on the Death Star, the ultimate WMD. Luke and Obi-Wan rush to save her with the help of Han Solo, a smuggler, and his best friend, Chewbacca,a wookie. They are too late to save Princess Leia before she tells Darth Vader were the rebels base is and despite his promis, Lord Vader destroys Alderan, Leia's home planet. The guys rescue Leia but Obi-Wan dies in a fight with Darth Vader, his former apprentice. Later on, the rebels destroy the Death Star and Luke and Han Solo are welcomed as heros.

Before we continue, you must understand what are Jedies. They are people trained to use the Force (an entity formed by all creatures in the universe), the light side of the force actually, to keep the peace in the galaxy. The Jedi were called Knights, but some of them, were Masters. Such Master was Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. To become a Jedi, one must start his training with a Jedi at a low age, and was called Padawan (apprentice) until the Jedi Council (formed by a few Jedi Masters, about 8 or 10) decides he/she is ready to become Jedi. By the time A New Hope takes place Obi-Wan and Darth Vader were the last Jedies left alive (in the next Episode we meet Yoda).

The Empire Strickes Back, Episode 5, is considered the best of all (I think ROTS is the best). Here The Empire strickes back on the rebels and destroys their bases on planet Hoth. Luke was sent by Obi-Wan (which died in ANH, but appears to Luke) to planet Dagobath to be trained as a Jedi by Yoda, a great Jedi Master (possible the greatest of all). Yoda has big toubles teaching Luke the Jedi arts. Han Solo and Leia, who fell inlove with each other, run to Bespine to hide from Darth Vader but they are betraied by Han's friend, Lando Calrissian forced by Darth Vader. Luke leaves Dagobath to save his friends in touble, but arrives to late: Han Solo is freezed and a bounty hunter, Boba Fett, takes him to Jabba the Hutt to whom Han Solo had some depts to pay. Luke fights Darth Vader who tells him that he is his father. Luke looses the fight and Darth Vader cuts his right hand, which is later replaced with a mechanical one. Lando Calrissian saves Leia after all and together manage to save Luke from a ceatain death, after Darth Vader cut his hand.

In "The Return of the Jedi" Leia and Lando fail in saving Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt and fall his prisoners. But Luke comes and save them all. Before he can become a Jedi he must confront his father again. The Emperor plans to draw Luke to the Dark side and masters a plan for that. Luke is told by Obi-Wan the story of Darh Vader, who was once Anakin Skywalker, the best pilot in the universe and his Padawan. But he was drawn to the dark side, though it was told by a prophecy that he would bring balance to the Force. Just before he dies, Yoda tells Luke that he must kill his father to become a Jedi. He also tells him that Leia is his twin sister. A second Death Star is under construction and is protected by a shield generated by the Endor's moon. Han Solo, Luke, Leia and Chewbacca tries to destroy the shield generator before the fleet of the rebels begins the last major assault on the empire forces. Luke surrends to Darth Vader convinced that he still has something good in him and Vader can be brought to the light side. He fight his father before the Emperor. Luke refuses to succumb to the dark side and cuts his father right arm, only to discover it was a mechanical arm too. Seeing that Luke cannot be turned, the Emperor decides to kill him. Unders Luke's cries Darth Vader kills the Emperor but he suffers fatal wounds and dies. In the end we see Obi-One, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker appearing to Luke. They are all happy. Balance has been restored to the Force.
    Last edited by cilu; May 23rd, 2005 at 02:57 PM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

The Phantom Manace, Episode 1.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jin and his young padawan, Obu-Wan Kenobi, are sent to planet Naboo to settle a conflict between the Trade Federation, led by viceroy Gunray and the Naboo people. With the help of a native, a gungan called Jar Jar Binks (the most hated character in Star Wars, he gets only 3 seconds in ROTS ) they arrive in Nabbo's capital to save Queen Padme Amidala just before the planet is occupied. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and the Padme rush to Tatooine, a desert planet. Here Qui-Gon and Padme meet a 9 year boy, called Anakin Skywalker, a slave, who helps them to get the parts they need to repair their ship by winning a ship/car race. The boy is freed by his owner, but not his mather, who remains on Tatooine. Qui-Gon takes Anakin with him to train him as a Jedi, because he had the greates number of mitoclondries (some entities that are present in all the living cells, and are together, the Force). Shmi Skywalker, Anakin's mother, tells Qui-Gon that the boy doesn't have a father (like Jesus). The Jedi Council, led by Yoda and Master Windu refuses to allow Qui-Gon to train him, becase it is too old, and his future is clouded. But Qui-Gon disobeys council's decision because he is convinced that Anakin is the one prophecized to bring balence to the Force by destroying the Sith order. Helping Padme to eliberate her planet, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan meet Darth Maul, a Sith lord, send to kill Padme. Qui-Gon is killed but Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul. Naboo is freed and Senator Palpatine, a senator from Naboo is elected the new Suprem Chancellar of the Galactic Senate. Obi-Wan, a Jedi now, decides to train Anakin as a Jedi because he had great trust in Qui-Gon.

The Attack of the Clones, episode 2
    Padme is now a Senator of Naboo (taking Palpatine's place) and she is the target of an assasination. The Jedi Council, at the recommendation of Chancellor Palpatine, sends Obi-Wan and his padawan, Anakin, to protect her and discover who is behind the assasination. Anakin, 19 years old, and Padme 24 years old, have not seen each other in the last 10 years, but Anakin dreamed her each night. He quickly falls in love with her, despite the Jedi's rules that they are not allowed to love. He and Padme leave Coruscant, the capital of the Galaxy, to Naboo to protect her. Obi-Wan rushes to Kamino, a planet at the Outer Ream, where he discovers that a Jedi placed an order for a clone army 10 years ago. Anakin is haunted by nightmares with is mother dying and leaves with Padme to Tatooine to save her. But he is too late. She was taken by the sand people and tortured. She dies moments after he finds her. Raged by hate he kills all the sand people, men, women, children... All. Obi-Wan is following the leads and arrives on Genoisis where he is taken prisoner by Count Dooku, the leader of the separatist army, aka Darth Tyranous. Padme and Ankin rush to save him but fell cative too. They are all sent in an arena to be killed (like in the Colosseum) but they kill the animals. Count Dooku send his droind to terminate them, but Yoda saves the day with the Clone Army from Kamino. Back to Naboo, Anakin and Padme marry in secrecy (Jedi are not allowed to love, let alone to marry). The clone war has began.

And to understand Episode 3: the Sith oder was formed by a few Jedi that wanted more power. They conquered a planet called Sith and took its inhabitans as slaves. In their search for power they were almost destroyed, but reorganized: each sith lord was allowed to have a single padawan. They have the same training and believes as the Jedi, only that the former use the dark side of the force to achieve their goals.
    Last edited by cilu; May 23rd, 2005 at 03:04 PM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Anakin was not to be blamed for anything. He done all from love. I would do the same in his position...
    I'll have to respectfully disagree here. That he was motivated by love does not absolve him from responsibility for his actions. Anakin was short-sighted and ignorant.

I just got back from the movie, and thought it was pretty good. Ian McDiarmid went rather over the top from his fight against Mace Windu onward, and Vader screaming "Nooooo!" was just about the worst thing ever, but overall it was a decent movie. Definitely the best of the three prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Sid, get outta here!!
    Yeah...
    Leaving in another 2 hours to see ROTS.

Cilu, Special thanks for that very informative reply...
    It certainly helps me understand the underlying context driving the movie...

Ciao,
    Sid!

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    Cilu, Special thanks for that very informative reply...
    It certainly helps me understand the underlying context driving the movie...
    Sorry for the countless typing and grammar mistakes. It was late in the night and I was tired.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by Smasher/Devourer
    and Vader screaming "Nooooo!" was just about the worst thing ever
    I think that scene when Darth Sidious\Palpatine lies Darth Vader that he killed Padme is the most dramatic of all...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I don't think the acting in ROTS was all that great.

However, I thought the storyline and the way it connects with the films on both sides was great! I would definately call it the best of the three recent films, but nothing can compete with the good old ones

I found this video for you star wars folks .

http://wimp.com/galaxy/
    Here are the rules, you must obey them or the gender bender will get you.

And if you ever think of posting without code-tags, the evil monkey will come after you.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBomBoe
    I don't think the acting in ROTS was all that great.
    I disagree. Hayden was absolutelly great. He made everything credible. He's so great when he's mad or confused.

However, I thought the storyline and the way it connects with the films on both sides was great!
    For years I was wondering why C-3PO does not remember Obi-Wan, Anakin or other things from the clone wars. I thought that the only solution to this puzzle was that his memory had been erased. And That's exactly what happened. But I don't see the mobile here. That's the only drawback of the story...

I would definately call it the best of the three recent films, but nothing can compete with the good old ones
    Obviously everyone has his/her own preferences, which should not be debateable. I'm a Star Wars fan for 15 years, I've seen all the episodes at least 6 times, but I like this one the most.

I've just seen it for the second time and this time the music hit me the most. It's so dramatic, so grave. And at the end, when the twins are born and delivered to their abopting families the music sudenlly changes, going back to the original score from 1977, and there is joy and hope in it. John Williams is a true master.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I just returned... this is the closest to liking a Sci-Fi I can get.

In my opinion, the movie is slickly made, creative, and it is really amazing how the director has got the many people to do the acting given that the entire movie, the scenery, the weaponry, the vehicles, the space worked upon is mostly computer generated.

A real technological marvel.

It is a definite must-see even for those who are not acquainted with the Dark side of the Force...

I cant understand only one thing, Why Lucas beging his movie with the 4th part
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast