CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Sith happens! [Caution: Thread contains movie spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by NoHero
    Believe me, this was not the end of the StarWars saga...
    I hope so...

All of the actress are under agreement till 2020. So I think there is something waiting in the wings. Even if it's a resuscitation of the old series.
    Only the actresses, not the actors? That means only Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman... I didn't know about such an agreement, but I don't think it has something to do with the making of another series. Episodes 7-9 have nothing to do with Padme, and I think Carrie Fisher is too old to play Leia again...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Only the actresses, not the actors? That means only Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman... I didn't know about such an agreement, but I don't think it has something to do with the making of another series. Episodes 7-9 have nothing to do with Padme, and I think Carrie Fisher is too old to play Leia again...
    Huuups... (take this smilie as it would smack his own head) ... Both actors and actress... And the books and the characters exists... Don't they? Or why are the children of Leia and Han Solo in the Star Wars database? That's strange...
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

In episode 2 Padme is the leader of the unionists, those who try to keep the Republic. Count Dooke is the separatists leader and they tried to assasinate her because she was their strong opponent.
    sure, but Dooku works for sid. and padme is so instrumental to Anaking turning to the dark side, why would sid want to kill her? Also, Why would Palpatine kidnap himself (at the start) and then put himself on a ship crashing into Coruscant? Also how does Padme die of a "broken heart" and it's as if she just doens't want to live any more?? They already had a perfectly plausibe reason for her death: due to the labour, and injuries suffered from Anakin's grip. It's was just silly how she dies.

Can you give an example?
    In Ep2, Anakin and Pamde just basically met (remember they havent seen each other in 10 years), and he starts telling her things like "I love you", and "I thought about you every day all these years" or something like that. I mean come on, that's just creepy... To me it seems like its almost impossible to understand why Padme would fall for Anakin. There isn’t a scene that makes it understandable or even believable that she is actually falling in love with him. He doesn't really have any charm or grace or other qualities that most people find redeeming. The pair only partially comes close to having real human emotions when they are on a picnic with the giant ***-monsters. Even there, instead of laying the groundwork for love, they talk about politics and how Anakin wants a steel fisted dictatorship to rule the galaxy. smooth...

I know I am not the only one who feels the dialog, and especially the scenes between Anaking and Padme were not that good. And again, I don't plame the actors, I blame Lucas.

Like some review said:

. Lucas doesn't trust his own actors or his own direction to portray this emotion so he fills up the script with extra dialog to explain to us how people feel. I've seen Natalie Portman in real dramatic roles, I know she can do it, Lucas does not. My bet is no editor on earth would correct a script by Lucas.
    Again, it doesn't really ruin the movies for me, but its somehwat disappointing.

Latem
    Last edited by Latem; May 29th, 2005 at 04:44 PM.
    Being a pessimist is wonderful; you are either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Latem
    My spoon is too big.
    I have remembered joke, it was very popular in the MATRIX movie times.

Code:
    Neo in chinees restourant 
     - the spoon not exists
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Quote Originally Posted by Skoons
    I have remembered joke, it was very popular in the MATRIX movie times.
    Hmm I am not sure I know what you are talking about That quote (as well as my avatar) comes from The Rejected Cartoon, and I dont think that part of the film had to do w/ The Matrix. It was actually nominated for 2000 Oscar for best Short Film (Animated). This means, and if you have seen this film you'll probably agree, that pretty much anyone can draw up a cartoon and get an Oscar nomination. It is pretty funny though. If you haven't seen it, just search for it in Kazaa, Bittorrent, or whatever else you use. Or I think that guy that made it sells the DVD on his site.

Anyway, it's kinda off topic so lets not hijack this thread.

Latem
    Being a pessimist is wonderful; you are either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

To me it seems like its almost impossible to understand why Padme would fall for Anakin. There isn’t a scene that makes it understandable or even believable that she is actually falling in love with him.
    Love is not supposed to be rational. People fall in love for all kind of reasons.
    He doesn't really have any charm or grace or other qualities that most people find redeeming.
    I didn't know grace was required for falling in love...
    The pair only partially comes close to having real human emotions when they are on a picnic with the giant ***-monsters.
    Not true. I suggest you to watch The Attack of the Clones again and then have this discussion.
    Even there, instead of laying the groundwork for love, they talk about politics and how Anakin wants a steel fisted dictatorship to rule the galaxy. smooth...
    Thta was just a part of their discussion. What did you expect? Have a 2-3 hours scene with Padme and Anakin at the picnic?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Anyway, it's kinda off topic so lets not hijack this thread.

Latem
    Ok , but your sign just remind me Neo and his spoons
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Quote Originally Posted by Skoons
    Ok , but your sign just remind me Neo and his spoons
    OK, but Latem had a good point, though... Please stay on topic.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Re: Sith happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Smasher/Devourer
    I'll have to respectfully disagree here. That he was motivated by love does not absolve him from responsibility for his actions. Anakin was short-sighted and ignorant.

I just got back from the movie, and thought it was pretty good. Ian McDiarmid went rather over the top from his fight against Mace Windu onward, and Vader screaming "Nooooo!" was just about the worst thing ever, but overall it was a decent movie. Definitely the best of the three prequels.
    Not ignorant, arrogant. It was Anakin's arrogance that caused his downfall. He thought that he was doing all this (becomming Sidious' apprentice) to save Padme, but in the end, you realize that is a half truth. After all, when confronted by Kenobi in the end, he talks about "his" empire, and how "he" brought peace to the universe.

One other interesting observation I found was the difference between Anakin/Vader in the first 3 episodes, and Vader in the last 3 episodes. In the first three (well, 2 and 3 really), Anakin/Vader is this arrogant, angry person. In the last three, it's almost as if Vader has come to peace with himself. He's no longer really arrogant (just don't make him angry), and he doesn't seem as angry all the time.

Viggy

Oh, and not to get too off topic, but I recently got the Star Wars Triology DVD set (episodes 4-6, on DVD). They (Lucas and company) changed the end of Return of the Jedi!!! They inserted Hayden Christensen in place of the "original" actor that played Anakin; in the scene on Endor where Luke looks off into the woods, and Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all appear before him.

I guess I can't get rid of my VHS sets (yep, sets, all of them) yet!

Viggy

They inserted Hayden Christensen in place of the "original" actor that played Anakin; in the scene on Endor where Luke looks off into the woods, and Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all appear before him.
    Hum, wait a minute, someone explain me what Anakin is doing with Yoda and Obi-Wan in that scene...

JeffB
    CodeGuru VB FAQ Visual Basic Frequently Asked Questions
    VB Code color Tool to color your VB code on CodeGuru
    Before you post Importants informations to know before posting

In Return of the Jedi, Darth Vader finds his way back to the good side of the force. That's what that scene is representing.

Viggy

Quote Originally Posted by MrViggy
    Not ignorant, arrogant. It was Anakin's arrogance that caused his downfall. He thought that he was doing all this (becomming Sidious' apprentice) to save Padme, but in the end, you realize that is a half truth. After all, when confronted by Kenobi in the end, he talks about "his" empire, and how "he" brought peace to the universe.
    His dream was to become the most powerfull Jedi ever so that he could bring peace and justice to the Galaxy...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Hum, wait a minute, someone explain me what Anakin is doing with Yoda and Obi-Wan in that scene...
    Haven't you seen The Return of the Jedi? Darth Vader kills Palpatine to save Luke but dies because of the lethal wounds and his body is burnt on the moon of Endor. Later he appears nearside Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke. The balance was restored to the Force...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

His dream was to become the most powerfull Jedi ever so that he could bring peace and justice to the Galaxy...
    True, but the words and manner in which he speaks them suggest that the power has gone to his head. It also seems to me that his idea of "peace and justice" is really a universe with no war. Just because there is no war does not mean that the universe is at peace. And, that's what we see in Episode 4, right? The universe is not at peace, but living in fear of the empire.

Viggy

Quote Originally Posted by MrViggy
    True, but the words and manner in which he speaks them suggest that the power has gone to his head. It also seems to me that his idea of "peace and justice" is really a universe with no war. Just because there is no war does not mean that the universe is at peace. And, that's what we see in Episode 4, right? The universe is not at peace, but living in fear of the empire.
    No, the empire is not at peace, because the strongest supporters of the Republic, formerly led by his wife, turned against the new galactic order.

Earlier you said
    One other interesting observation I found was the difference between Anakin/Vader in the first 3 episodes, and Vader in the last 3 episodes. In the first three (well, 2 and 3 really), Anakin/Vader is this arrogant, angry person. In the last three, it's almost as if Vader has come to peace with himself. He's no longer really arrogant (just don't make him angry), and he doesn't seem as angry all the time.
    That is a very good remark. Probably all the passion died along with Padme and in time he became cold and was no longer hasty.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast