CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Sith happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Skoons
    I cant understand only one thing, Why Lucas beging his movie with the 4th part
    Maybe because that one was the only one he could do within the budget? Or maybe he just liked that one better

But the part where Aniken was all nubby and on fire crawling up the rocks with his robot arm, that was kinda disturbing
    "Windows programming is like going to the dentist: You know it's good for you, but no one likes doing it."
    - Andre LaMothe

DLL For Beginners(UPDATED)
    Please use CODE tags
    Rate me if I've helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsosuperhero
    Maybe because that one was the only one he could do within the budget? Or maybe he just liked that one better
    No, it was because at the beginning he didn't have the whole saga in mind. I've seen the first (out of four) draft for Star Wars (the one from '77) and it was very different that the final draft. Lucas got the idea for the rest of the saga (including episodes 7-9) while filming for A New Hope.
    Last edited by cilu; May 23rd, 2005 at 02:26 AM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

In an interview, Lucas commented on the notes and writing he had for the first three eposide. For the last movie, only like 60% was from his notes and the other 40% was filler that he added in making the movie. The first two movies were only a fraction of his original story notes.

What I took out of the answers he was giving was that Star Wars was the movie he was making and the "first three" were really his 'background notes and information for the movie.

It was also interesting that he stated that the feedback from initial screenings was that it wasn't clear why Anikin turned to the dark side. As such, they ended up reshooting and fixing a lot of that.

---------------------

For those watching records - it did break the Midnight showing record, the opening day record, and the four day record. It did not break the opening week-end record ; however, it wasn't expected to. It was known that opening on Thursday would drain off some of the week-end viewers - which it did.

Brad!

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    OK: here is the quick overview over the entire Star Wars saga.

It all began 28 years ago with SW EP 4: A New Hope. A young man Luke, from Tatooine, buys 2 robots, R2-D2 and C-3PO, which were sent on Tatooine by Princess Leia Organa to seach for Obi-Wan Kenobi and determine him to help her and the Rebels agains the Empire and Darth Vader, who held her hostage on the Death Star, the ultimate WMD. Luke and Obi-Wan rush to save her with the help of Han Solo, a smuggler, and his best friend, Chewbacca. They are too late to save Princess Leia before she tells Darth Vader were the rebel's base is and despite his promis, Lord Vader destroys Alderan, Leia's home planet. The guys rescue Leia but Obi-Wan dies in a fight with Darth Vader, his former apprentice. Later on the Rebels destroy the Death Star and Luke and Han Solo are welcomed as heros.

Before we continue, you must understand what are Jedies. They are people trained to use the Force (an entity formed by all creatures in the universe), the light side of the force actually, to keep the peace in the galaxy. The Jedi wher called Knights, but some of them, where Masters. Such Master was Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. To become a Jedi, one must star his training with a Jedi at a low age, and was called Padawan (apprentice) until the Jedi Council (formed by a few Jedi Masters, about 8 or 10) decided he/she was readi to become Jedi. By the time A New Hope takes place Obi-Wan and Darth Vader were the last Jedies left alive (in the next Episode we meet Yoda).

The Empire Stricks Back, Episode 5, is considered the best of all (I think ROTS is the best). Here The Empire stricks back on the rebels and destroys their bases on planet Hoth. Luke was sent by Obi-Wan (which died in ANH, but appears to Luke) to planet Dagobath to be trained as a Jedi by Yoda, a great Jedi Master (possible the greatest of all). Yoda has big toubles teaching Luke the Jedi arts. Han Solo and Leia, who fell inlove with eachother, run to Bespine to hide from Darth Vader but they are betraied by Han's friend, Lando Calrissian forced by Darth Vader. Luke leaves Dagobath to save his friends in touble, but arrives to late: Han Solo is freezed and a bounty hunter, Boba Fett, brings him to Jabba the Hutt to whom Han Sole had some depts to pay. Luke fights Darth Vader who tells him that he is his father. Luke looses the fight and Darth Vader cuts his right hand, which is later replaced with a mechanical one. Lando Calrissian saves Leia after all and together manage to save Luke from a ceatain death, after Darth Vader cut his hand.

In "The Return of the Jedi" Leia and Lando fail in saving Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt and fall his prisoners. But Luke comes and save them all. Before he becomes a Jedi he must confront his father again. The Emperor planes to draw Luke to the Dark side and masters a plan for that. Luke is told by Obi-Wan the story of Darh Vader, who was once Anakin Skywalker, the best pilot in the universe and his Paddawan. But he was drawn to the dark side, though it was told by a prophecy that he would bring balance to the Force. Just before he dies, Yoda tells Luke that he must kill his father to become a Jedi. He also tells him that Leia is his twin sister. A second Death Star is under construction and is protected by a shield generated by the Endor's moon. Han Solo, Luke, Leia and Chubacca tries to destroy the shield generator before the fleet of the rebels begins the last major assault on the empire forces. Luke surrends to Darth Vader convinced that he still has something good in him and Vader can be brought to the light side. He fight his father before the Emperor. Luke refuses to sucumb to the dark side and cuts his father right arm, only to discover it was a mechanical arm too. Seeing that Luke cannot be turned, the Emperor decides to kill him. Unders Luke's cries Darth Vader kills the Emperor but he suffers fatal wounds and dies. In the end we see Obi-One, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker appearing to Luke. They are all happy.
    cilu, this makes for one good "Star Wars for dummies" book

Re: Sith happens! [Caution: Thread contains movie spoilers]

cilu, this makes for one good "Star Wars for dummies" book
    Yeah... something like that... Hopefully there were no synopsis mistakes, because I was very tired when I wrote the "quick handbook" for Siddhartha (and others that didn't see Star Wars episodes, though I'm wondering if there are any).
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Guys tell me please who is your favorite hero from the SW. I like the robot (can`t remeber his name but he was speachless he was only beeping like modem)
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Guys tell me please who is your favorite hero from the SW. I like the robot (can`t remeber his name but he was speachless he was only beeping like modem)
    Umm.... That would be R2-D2.
    Death is life's special way of telling you you're fired.

For I do not seek to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand. For I believe this: unless I believe, I will not understand. - Anselm of Canterbury (1033–1109)

You are talking about R2-D2 (aka Artoo-Deetoo).

My favorite character is Anakin, because he and I are so alike.

Lucas was right. Star Wars has 2 find of fans. The fans over 25 years old, which are devoted to the first three episodes, and the fans under 25 years old that like the prequels more.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Budget. He says that quite often in his interviews. He knew the first three involved a lot of wars and special effects that he just couldn't accomplish at the time. Also why he remade IV, V and VI when the technology caught up.

The lame Darth Vader "nooooo" was because he really couldn't inflect his voice in the helmet... the "machinery" that made him didn't really have that much of a personality...

I think NatThoelecke brings up a VERY good point in that the dreams caused the turn and the turn caused the dream to come true... interesting!

I disagree with you Cilu... It wasn't becoming evil to kill evil that brought balance but his having Luke and Leia that brought balance. They're the prophecy!
    GO TECH GO!!

My fav is Aniken/Darth Vader, Darth Vader has to be one of the, if not THE coolest personallities in movies.

p.s. I especially like nubby Aniken on fire climbing the hill with his robot arm
    "Windows programming is like going to the dentist: You know it's good for you, but no one likes doing it."
    - Andre LaMothe

DLL For Beginners(UPDATED)
    Please use CODE tags
    Rate me if I've helped.

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Lucas was right. Star Wars has 2 find of fans. The fans over 25 years old, which are devoted to the first three episodes, and the fans under 25 years old that like the prequels more.
    i'm 24 n loved the IV-VI episodes more than the I n II... episode III certainly the most daramatic one...

i think the storyline was great, the fear of losing padm mad anakin fall to the dark side, but what i don't really get is the last part where darth vader could believe the lie, about padm's death, a "noooooooo" from darth vader is certaily not enough i think. he should at least run amok or something... go burn down a city to show his anger or frustration..

on more thing, the death of all the jedi killed by the troopers, just don't seem right, their death seemed so easy, even the jedi master from the jedi counsil, they were killed just like that.. thats one sad way to die for a jedi, shot from behind by the clones..... hmmm

ahh overall the movie was the most dramatic and just great, can't wait forthe DVD to come out, i have to buy the whole collection and watch I-VI....

Quote Originally Posted by gurlygirl
    I disagree with you Cilu... It wasn't becoming evil to kill evil that brought balance but his having Luke and Leia that brought balance. They're the prophecy!
    i agree with this the most, having luke and leia brings balance to the force..

my fav char is darth vader of course, but i also like general grieveous.. haha ..
    Last edited by Max Payne; May 23rd, 2005 at 08:15 PM.
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by gurleygirl
    No. Not Luke and Leia brought balance to the Foce. Anakin did. He destroyed the Sith order, by killing Darth Tyranous and Darth Sidious. But to bring balance to the force he had to become a Sith and destroy the Jedi Order first and then the Sith Order. Luke and Leia were the ones to restore (unfortuantelly) the Jedi order. But Anakin was The One.

i think the storyline was great, the fear of losing padm mad anakin fall to the dark side, but what i don't really get is the last part where darth vader could believe the lie, about padm's death, a "noooooooo" from darth vader is certaily not enough i think. he should at least run amok or something... go burn down a city to show his anger or frustration..
    I agree here. Anakin/Vader would have done something in his rage. He loved her so much he would have at least tried to find her tomb and pay a last visit or something... But that would have made the movie 3 hours long or more...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by gurleygirl
    http://thunder.prohosting.com/~spiff/history.html

The last 2 paragraphs are very interesting... I must start reading the books.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

In any way Lucas made super specialeffects 25 years ago. When you see th 4rth or 6th episodes you understand what work was done. But the 1rts episode as for me was bad, when you compare it with all others
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

In any way Lucas made super specialeffects 25 years ago. When you see th 4rth or 6th episodes you understand what work was done. But the 1rts episode as for me was bad, when you compare it with all others
    Yes, I agree, the are too many special effects and the Jar Jar Binks character was a little bit too much...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast