CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Sith happens! [Caution: Thread contains movie spoilers]

Well, I saw Revenge of the Sith yesterday, and I have now had a day to reflect on it.

I needed at least a day to think about it, because my initial reaction coming out of the theater was not one I would have expected.

Up front I have to say that ROTS is an excellent movie, one that merits acclaim. There are a few (typical) Lucasonianly turgid lines of dialog, but in the whole wash the movie is, easily, the most emotionaly dramatic of all six.

Sometimes clichés are true, and the one that comes to mind is "...be careful what you wish for, 'cause it just might come true!". Well, for 28 years I have wished for, among other things, to see the details of how Anakin Skywalker ends up taking the slide to the dark side, and how he comes to be the walking half man/machine that terrorizes Empirical Admirals in The Empire Strikes back.

We, the fans, have ALWAYS known, from the beginning, out of Lucas own mouth, that a big factor in Anakin's dehumanization was the result of a brutal, last encounter between Himself and Obi Wan.

The scene is emotional and horrifying, as well as heart breaking. And I found it very difficult to watch. It seems, that after 28 years of wanting to see it, that I didn't really want to see it at all. No more than you would desire to watch someone close to you in your own family suffer some awful fate.

The suffering I refer to is Obi Wans' and Padme's. As far as I was concerned, Anakin got what was coming to him.

I empathize with Obi Wan, and he says it all in his last speech to Anakin. I whole-heartedly agree with everything he says. When Obi Wan walks away from the long fandom expected climax, he sighs heavily in emotional horror, emotionally scarred and traumatized. His tragic last encounter with Anakin is not something that he is going to relish reflecting on during 20 years of exile on Tatooine. And now George Lucas has made sure that neither do I wish to reflect on it.

I am not in a hurry to go see it any time soon, and might not get around to a second viewing for a long time. It's etched in my mind like it is etched in Obi Wan's.

It is some solace to know that in the end Lukes' genuine love for his father reaches through Anakins' prideful, tormented mind and emboldens him to fullfill the prophecy and destroy the Emperor. After a lifetime of being a cold blooded murderer, whose vctims unjustifiedly include a room full of children, killing Palpatine is the least he could do. The very least.

I like Obi Wan Kenobi now better than I ever had before. I have a new found respect and admiration for his courage to something that was very difficult to do, but needed to be done.

Anakin may not have hewn down Padme with a light Sabre, but he did kill her.

I highly recommend that all Star Wars fans go see it. Once.

Skeet

Skeet, you seem to be a long time SW fan. SW: ANH was released 2 years before I was born so we don't share the same SW fan longness. However, I've seen each episode at least 6 times and I can say that I was waiting for about 10 years to see the fall of Anakin and the born of Darth Vader. ROTS was beyond my expectations. I've already seen ROTS twice and I plan to see it again very soon.

I can't stop thinking of how Anakin fall. He was so deeply inlove that he crossed every line in his desperate search for a way to save the woman he loved. And the fact that his own fall was the cause of Padme's death is troubleing. The part with "He's healty, but we are loosing her and we don't know why" wasn't a very good end IMO. Padme was all her life a figher, a woman that stood strong against any perils, but he gave up on Anakin so easly. Padme we know from Ep 1&2 would certainly have fought to bring Anakin back. And Anakin we know, when told that Padme was dead, would have rush to find her, or her body and try anything to bring her back, even force Palpatine to bring her back. That "Nooooo" was not enough for a man that slaughtered "younglings" just to save her...

Besides the story, the music of the film is great. John Williams is Bethoween of Hollywood. You can close your eyes, listen to the music and perceive everything that happens. The danger, the sorrow, the peril, the hope...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: Sith happens!

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    No. Not Luke and Leia brought balance to the Foce. Anakin did. He destroyed the Sith order, by killing Darth Tyranous and Darth Sidious. But to bring balance to the force he had to become a Sith and destroy the Jedi Order first and then the Sith Order. Luke and Leia were the ones to restore (unfortuantelly) the Jedi order. But Anakin was The One.
    ... Would Darth Vader have attacked the Emperor if Luke wasn't in danger? There was no indication that D.V. was thinking about turning UNTIL he discovered his son lived... no Luke, no dead Sith.

The prosecution rests, Your Honor.

\\Of course, Anakin wouldn't have turned if it weren't for Padme's pregnancy thus never becoming a sith so that he could turn back and destroy the sith. (…Again the children fulfill the prophecy!!)
    GO TECH GO!!

Cool Re: Sith happens! [Caution: Thread contains movie spoilers]

Sith order is not destroyed. Read the Databank on starwars.com

The Star Wars is more than just the episodes that made it to the movies, although many will argue that it is the movies that are Star Wars and basta. Well, personally, I am split between the two opinions, but I allow for the background story which is NOT depicted in the movies. And the background story tells:

Darth Sidious did not die when Vader had thrown him down the reactor pit. Palpatine is skilfully eluding death by transferring his conciousness into a clone body upon that body's demise, and starting it all over again. Later Luke will turn to the dark side, by realizing just how nearly impossible it is to fight Sidius from the Jedi point of view, when Sidius always finds a clone body to transfer himself to. The clones Palpatine uses for his resurrection are held and matured on a distant secret planet by the way. Back to Luke: Facing Palpatine and knowing he cannot win, Luke bows down to him (just like Anakin, his father) and submits (seemingly) to his will, accepting to be his Sith apprentice. Luke's plan is to defeat Palpatine from the inside, by coming closer to him as an apprentice and then destroying him. His plan failed to work at first, and only with the help of Leia he managed to first uncome from the dark side of the force again, and overthrow Palpatine once and for all, by destroying not only his present body and mind by killing him, but also destroying his cloning facility, so that Palpatine would not be able to do his conciousness-transference thing. This is all (loosely) taken from starwars.com' Databank. It is a good read for hardcode fans

It also says that Palpatine is so skilled with lightsabre, that most of those who fight him cannot see his blade moving. That doesnt include Yoda and Mace, apparently

Sith order is not destroyed. Read the Databank on starwars.com
    I know. And Luke falled to the Dark Side too and was later saved by Leia. You can read about it at Sith Temple.

http://thunder.prohosting.com/~spiff/history.html (scroll down to the end).
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Something for you cilu:

writing gets better towards the end:

http://darthside.blogspot.com/

heh (snapping turtle)

http://sithsense.com/flash.htm

Mick is back... Thanks for the links...
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Ok I guess I'll bite and post my opinion on the movie. But Ill make it short and sweet I hope. Also I must state, I am not really a Star Wars fan, to me they are just "some other movies" basically.

I saw the movie on Friday (the 20th), and then I saw eposode I and II on the Sunday (22nd) cuz they were having a Star Wars weekend on the tv. I found that helped me cuz I only saw Episode 2 once, when it came out, so I forgot most of it.

Anyway, overall, IMO it is the best movie of the first 3 episodes. The action is great, and special effects are good. I especially enjoyed the darker and more serious feel of this movie. There were no silly and childlish things in it, like in other SW films (for example those dumb furry creatures, or Jar Jar). I enjoyed it.

The negatives:

1) To me, the story doesn't really make 100% sense when u take episodes 1 and 2 into account. Like who is trying to kill Padme in Ep II, and why? There are some other things, that I didn't get. I've forgot now. I guess it doesnt bother me too much.

2) Acting and dialog. I have found lots of acting and dialog really cheese and lame in most of Star Wars movies. This is especially true in Ep 2 and 3. more specifically I'll refer to the scenes b/w Anakin and Padme. In Ep2 the guy is a total creep. If you talked like that to girls in real life, u'll never get laid. trust me. In Ep 3 dialog b/w them isn't much better. It's just all classic lame things we get in those cheesy made for TV romance movies. other acting isn't really all that strong neither. And it's not the fault of the actors. They are all a very capable bunch. IMO Geroge Lucas just doesn't know how to direct his actors, and get them to express well. Plus the crappy dialog at times doesnt help. There are some strong acting parts though. I liked Anakin's transition to the dark side, and I think that actor (whatever his name is) did a pretty good job. Also McGregor guy did a pretty good job of playing his character, especially in the 2nd half of the movie when Anakin turns to dark side. And ofcourse Yoda did an excellent job again.

Ok I wrote more than I intended. Anyway, as I said I enjoyed the movie overall.

Latem
    Being a pessimist is wonderful; you are either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

Like who is trying to kill Padme in Ep II, and why?
    In episode 2 Padme is the leader of the unionists, those who try to keep the Republic. Count Dooke is the separatists leader and they tried to assasinate her because she was their strong opponent.

I have found lots of acting and dialog really cheese and lame in most of Star Wars movies. This is especially true in Ep 2 and 3. more specifically I'll refer to the scenes b/w Anakin and Padme. In Ep2 the guy is a total creep. If you talked like that to girls in real life, u'll never get laid. trust me.
    Can you give an example?

I liked Anakin's transition to the dark side, and I think that actor (whatever his name is) did a pretty good job.
    Hayden Christensen is the name of the Canadian actor that played Anakin in Episodes 2 and 3. I also think he did a great job with Anakin's transition to the dark side. Excellent acting.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Anaking is my favorite person in StarWars the best he has done he turned to dark side of the force
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Believe me, this was not the end of the StarWars saga...
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

Believe me, this was not the end of the StarWars saga...
    I believe it. They just like to be fashionably late.
    "Windows programming is like going to the dentist: You know it's good for you, but no one likes doing it."
    - Andre LaMothe

DLL For Beginners(UPDATED)
    Please use CODE tags
    Rate me if I've helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsosuperhero
    I believe it. They just like to be fashionably late.
    All of the actress are under agreement till 2020. So I think there is something waiting in the wings. Even if it's a resuscitation of the old series.
    Use the Code Tags!

Use the Code Tags!

To be exactly there is no balance or disbalance in the force in the galaxy. If cath main idea of SW right threis only force which flows through everything, and we have two ways to controll it first one is in controlling our emotions, habits and so on, second one is to allow our emotions to rule us, and focuse the force. So we got two ways of controling one of them called dark (darth) and another light. But when is full controll of force is achieved there can not be dark or light side because the force is fully neutral, it has not emotions and wishes, and full controll makes you unemtional creature with no wishes
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast