Hi all,

the last time I have been using eVC++ was nearly two years ago - at that time, it was eVC++ 3.0. After a couple of years of desktop-only development (VC++ 6.0, VS 2003) I'm now back to embedded, and find that the world has changed in the meantime. I hope you can help getting me back on the track by answering a few general questions... Thanks in advance. Smile

Here we go:

I remember that with eVC++ 3.0, I could create projects (with MFC or just plain Win32) and execute and debug them either in the emulator or on the device (at that time, an iPAQ 3870). That was fine.

• I've now installed eVC++ 4.0 (the version which comes with MSDN Universal, including SP2). However, I'm not able to target my PocketPC 2002 device any longer. I can't connect to it, regardless of the target processor. The only target platform I get is STANDARDSDK_420. When running in the emulator, it doesn't look like a PocketPC at all, but rather like one of the old WinCE handheld devices. What's going on here? Anything i missed to install?
  • With Visual Studio 2003 (Enterprise Architect), building apps for CE works very nicely: Deploying and debugging applications to the device works like a charm. But: It looks like the only types of application I can build to target the PocketPC platform (called "Smart Device Application" in VS2003) are VB and C# apps with managed .NET code. Isn't there any way to write (unmanaged) C++ code for CE platforms any more?
  • In the future, I will have to target Windows Automotive 4.2. I know my customer is using eVC++ 4.0 for that. Now I'm somewhat unclear about how WA4.2 relates to PPC 2002/2003, .NET, and what is called "STANDARDSDK_420" in eVC++ 4.0. Is WA more like the handheld CE platform than like PPC?

You see, I'm quite confused, also due to changed terminology and the apparent variety of now available embedded/CE platforms. Could you please shed some light on that and ponit me to the right direction?

Thanks again,
E.