CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Generic Text Printer Driver

Hi,

I have absolutely no knowledge of writing any device drivers but now have the need for a variation of the simple generic text printer driver.

Idealy I would like the driver to produce a text file with each data item / piece of information enclosed withing some form of a tag / field name delimiters (pre & post).

Is this feasible ? If it is feasible but requires the full knowledge of writing a printer driver then I shall undertake that task.

Is there something already out there or something I can adapt ?
    Any help / suggestions would be most welcome.

My Thank in advance to one and all for your help.

Bob

Re: Generic Text Printer Driver

Windows comes with a generic text printer driver that I have used for receipt printers before, I don't think that you would need to write your own.

Re: Generic Text Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by dave18285
    Windows comes with a generic text printer driver that I have used for receipt printers before, I don't think that you would need to write your own.
    What I am really after is a way of producing a text file when a document is printed with each piece of information (say for example customer reference when printing an invoice) enclosed by a pre & post field tags such as:
    <CustomerRef>CodeGuru</CostomerRef>.

I realise that this can be achieved easily by modifying the invoice template used for printing and using the text printer driver to print to file. Unfortunately, I need to do this for other types of documents as well and I am not likely to know beforehand what templates are going to be used for printing.

Does the printer driver get to 'know' what information is being sent or is it simply the data that has needs printing ?

Also, I need to add some pre & post amble (header / footer) to each document that gets printed.

Lastly, any information you can provide that might help me in creating my own version of the generic printer driver would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'll be away for the next 2 weeks and appologise in advance for not being able to reply to your response.