CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

[Solved] GCC, dynamic linking and calling conventions

Hello

I am trying to develop Windows application using DevCpp and GCC compiler v.3.2.4. Application uses mylib.dll library compiled with MSVC 7 and this causes the incompatibility problems. Some functions (almost all) at mylib.dll use __stdcall calling convention, while GCC compiler uses __cdecl by default. This behaviour can be changed globally using -mrtd switch.
    Because of problems with linking MSVC dlls to GCC apps, I decided to link mylib.dll dynamically. Using LoadLibrary and GetProc Address I assign address of proc to function pointer, and call it in my program:

Code:
    typedef void (*myfunc)(void); //function pointer declaration
    //this one works
    LoadLibrary("mylib.dll");
    //this one too
    myfunc func1 = (myfunc)GetProcAddress("_func1@0");//strange name, since itd __stdcall one and is not aliased
    //some lines later.....
    just_a_func(); // <-- function defined in program or other GCC library, __cdecl call by default
    func1(); //<--__stdcall imported func
    Now whats the question: Is there any way to force GCC compiler to call some functions pointed by pointers using __stdcall, and some others pointed by pointers and defined in program using __cdecl?

I was trying following things:
    1. use -mrtd switch: works OK but only as long as my app calls ONLY __stdcall procs. When this option is used, app cannot correctly call functions from other GCC libs, as they use __cdecl.

2. do not use -mrtd switch, and declare function pointer as using __stdcall
    Code:
    typedef void (*__stdcall myfunc)(void); //doesnt work, function is still called as __cdecl
    typedef void (*myfunc)(void) __attribute__((stdcall)); //same as above
    Either its not possible to specify calling convention of function pointer, or I am doing something wrong, or GCC ignores calling specifiers in C++ modules.

I found a lot of examples 'How to link GCC app with MSVC dll', and I tried them. Indeed, linker does not complain, but this does not prevent GPFs and stack troubles at runtime.

Thanks for help
    Hob
    Last edited by Hobson; June 7th, 2005 at 04:48 AM.
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use &#91;code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?