CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Performance Tools wanted

Can anyone suggest any good tools that can be used to monitor application performance? Specifically, I am looking for a thread, memory, CPU, and port monitor.

Any suggestions? I want to monitor an apps performance over time for stability and to see what metrics I can glean from the systems.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Using VS 2010

Re: Performance Tools wanted

Quote Originally Posted by rick7423
    Can anyone suggest any good tools that can be used to monitor application performance? Specifically, I am looking for a thread, memory, CPU, and port monitor.

Any suggestions? I want to monitor an apps performance over time for stability and to see what metrics I can glean from the systems.
    There are two that come to my mind immediately:

• Perfmon: It's Free. (You will find it in your %WinDir%\System32 folder) Run "Perfmon" from "Run"
    • Intel VTune: Advanced, and expensive. Both.

I am already using perfomance monitor (perfmon), but wanted to find something a little more detailed. the more metrics i can get the better. I have been looking at sysinternal but wanted to get others impressions of what is used and best practices for using them.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Using VS 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rick7423
    I am already using perfomance monitor (perfmon), but wanted to find something a little more detailed. the more metrics i can get the better. I have been looking at sysinternal but wanted to get others impressions of what is used and best practices for using them.
    Then, I would recommend VTune.

I think, Profiling is not what the OP needs.

(VS) Profiling tools count the function hit, and function time, and in doing so greatly affect the performance of the application itself.

In other words, time values generated by VS profiler (on a per-function basis) are useful only when compared as a ratio against the net application execution time - which due to this very tool can be 10 times or more slower than the genuine release-mode binaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    I think, Profiling is not what the OP needs.
    Well...this is what I consider the performance of an application...

Anyway...as I said...just as an addition...don't deny that VTune is basically a very nice tool as well...