CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VB calling VC++ DLL

Hi,

I wrote a vb program calling vc++ dll.

so for example in the vb program...
    we would declare such as the following
    Public Declare Function AddNums Lib "C:\apress\ch9.dll" (By Val....)

I would like to know how it is it possible for the vb program to call the DLL dynamically without specifying the full directory path of the DLL.
    That is eg. Public Declare Function AddNums Lib "ch9.dll" (By Val....)
    Even though I placed the dll file into the VB directory, it would complain
    "dll file not found", when I do not specify the full path.

I need to resolve this urgently.
    Please advise, thanks.
    Sally

VB calling VC++ DLL

Hi,

I wrote a vb program calling vc++ dll.
    Using win XP, running vb and vc++ version 6.0

so for example in the vb program...
    we would declare such as the following
    Public Declare Function AddNums Lib "C:\apress\ch9.dll" (By Val....)

I would like to know how it is it possible for the vb program to call the DLL dynamically without specifying the full directory path of the DLL.
    That is eg. Public Declare Function AddNums Lib "ch9.dll" (By Val....)
    Even though I placed the dll file into the VB directory, it would complain
    "dll file not found", when I do not specify the full path.

I need to resolve this urgently.
    Please advise, thanks.
    Sally

Re: VB calling VC++ DLL

Hi..
    put it in the same exe folder
    or in the windows system folder...
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles

<a rel=https://twitter.com/HeshamAmin" border="0" /> @HeshamAmin

No, I'm afraid it is not possible to dynamically vary the path to the DLL. Had the same problem a while back.

Two solutions:
    1) make a DLL which sits in your application root and acts as a delegator. i.e. takes all the information required and passes it to / from the required DLL. (needs an extra paramater for the dll path and name). You VB app will call this DLL and it will then pass the info to the required dll.

2) register the DLL using the regsvr32 function from the command propmt. That way your dll will be able to exist in any location and your VB app can call it without supplying a path.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky98
    2) register the DLL using the regsvr32 function from the command propmt. That way your dll will be able to exist in any location and your VB app can call it without supplying a path.
    This is true in case the DLL has the DLLRegiserServer function...
    this is the case in COM DLLs but not in standard DLLs that I assume sallypeh is trying..
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles

<a rel=https://twitter.com/HeshamAmin" border="0" /> @HeshamAmin

not in my experience... maybe I did some thing else to make it work... but regsvr32 always seems to give me the required result.
    Mike

Mike

not in my experience... maybe I did some thing else to make it work... but regsvr32 always seems to give me the required result.
    This is without specifying the full path...
    ============================
    Hi, I placed the vc++ dll inside the directory of vb program.
    I tried moving many times, reset pc, etc. Then it seems able to find the dll file. It did not complain "File not found" error.

However, it does not work correctly, though it manage to find the pointer to my vc++ dll, but there is no response from the vc++ dll to vb. If i tried running my vb program from vc++ environment for debugging purposes, it works fine! Gosh, I need to get the vb program running from vb IDE, not vc++ IDE.

Is there particular way on how to know whether vb program is calling the correct vc++ dll program?

Please help. Thanks, Sally

If i did not understand wrongly, if the path is not specified, it will just take
    the relative path that the exe file resides...
    Last edited by sallypeh; June 21st, 2005 at 04:56 AM.

Mmmmm, sounds to me like the ubiquitous name convesion problem!

This problem is really aweful, but fairly easy to fix. Basically the calling convesion (_stdcall) which allows C++ Dlls to be seen by VB changes the name of the C++ function. Take a look at some of these for a possible solution:

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showth...threadid=29471
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227421
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252517

(the 2nd is probably clearest)

hope that helps.

Mmmmm, sounds to me like the ubiquitous name convesion problem!

This problem is really aweful, but fairly easy to fix. Basically the calling convesion (_stdcall) which allows C++ Dlls to be seen by VB changes the name of the C++ function. Take a look at some of these for a possible solution:

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showth...threadid=29471
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227421
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252517

(the 2nd is probably clearest)

hope that helps.

---------------

Hi, I use the standard convention - ie . _stdcall convention.
    Now, I tried redoing a smaller version of my original c++ dll
    and with the same vb program.

However, this time round. Something very strange.
    I copied all the dlls into the vb folder where my vb program.exe lies.
    I noticed if I run from vb IDE, it would complain my vc++ dll file not found...
    but if I run purely my vb program (vb.exe file which I compiled)...it works fine!!!

So, I went over to my vc++ project workspace, and execute the same vb program for debugging purposes...it works fine. Then went over to vb IDE, to run my vb program again. This time round, it does not complain the dll file not found,...but it does not work correctly, it does not achieve the same result as what the vb program exe achieves earlier.

Please advise...
    I am very confused now.
    Thanks, Sally

Are you sure you are referencing the correct DLL?? That is about the only thing I could think could be wrong.

First time you ran it (and didn't work)... you may have been trying to reference the dll in the working directory (when you start a project from inside IDE this is VB's folder, but when you start by double clicking the project file then it is the project folder).

Why it gave you different results... I don't know. I'm as confused as you are. Maybe a bug in the c++?

Maybe try "building" up the dll... i.e. first do a simply x+2 operation... then increase this a bit until eventually you find the problem or it works correctly.
    Mike

VB application sometimes behaves differently when being run from sourcecode as compare to running in compiled binary.
    If we use the VB project to run from the IDE, sometimes the app.path (startup directory of the application) will points to vb.exe location (e.g c:\progfiles\microsoft vs\vb.exe), but when run from compiled binary the app.path property always points to the exe location.

Now for your problem, like previously suggested,
    - place the dll in system directory, or
    - place the dll in one of the folder specified in your PATH environment setting, or
    - place the dll in the same folder as your exe, but make sure you call the ChDir function in your app to change the default dir to your app startup directory or change the PATH environment variable on runtime to include your startup directory and restore it when your app terminates.

Hi,
    I have another type of problem regarding using VC++ dll in VB. I have several parameters which are pass into the vc dll to get certain values. They are either of type LONG( vc= integer) or SINGLE(vc=float). The values i get for LONG variables are correct but those of SINGLE are wrong. Any idea what could be a reason?

Tks.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Luthv
    VB application sometimes behaves differently when being run from sourcecode as compare to running in compiled binary.
    If we use the VB project to run from the IDE, sometimes the app.path (startup directory of the application) will points to vb.exe location (e.g c:\progfiles\microsoft vs\vb.exe), but when run from compiled binary the app.path property always points to the exe location.

Now for your problem, like previously suggested,
    - place the dll in system directory, or
    - place the dll in one of the folder specified in your PATH environment setting, or
    - place the dll in the same folder as your exe, but make sure you call the ChDir function in your app to change the default dir to your app startup directory or change the PATH environment variable on runtime to include your startup directory and restore it when your app terminates.

------------------

Hi,
    I run on other pcs with xp with service pack 2, and from vb IDE, it works pretty ok. Only My pc run from vb IDE, doesn't work fine.
    Strange...and I reinstalled the whole visual studio 6.0 of my pc, I still encounter this problem on my pc. Besides, I even upgrade to xp service pack2.

I tried placing the dll files in the same directory with the vb exe file and also tried placing the dll files in the system directory.
    Either way, EXE file can work, But run from VB IDE cannot work.

Btw, what is this PATH env? where can I set it?

Please advise,
    Thanks, Sally
    Last edited by sallypeh; June 23rd, 2005 at 05:37 AM.

have you tried upgrading your Visual studio to service pack 6?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast