CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CG Forum Awards

CG Forum Awards

I just got the idea of creating annual CodeGuru Forums Awards (CGFA). We should come up with some categories, select the nominees for each, then vote for it and the most voted ones win.

Here are some categories that came to my mind so far (no special order):

• best C++ thread
    • best .NET (including C++.NET) thread
    • best VB thread
    • best thread (can be, of course, one of the winners of the categories above)
    • best post (most detailed explanation)
    • best poll
    • best FAQ
    • best feedback proposal (best proposal for site improvement suggested in the feedback forum)
    • funniest thread
    • best breakthrough (new CG member with best contribution)
    • best contributor (CG member with best contribution)
    • free your mind award (should go to the member that proposed the most uncommon, out-of-the-box, yet correct solution to a problem)
    • special award for most popular thread (the thread with most posts over the last year)
    • best avatar

Of course the nominees can be proposed by anyone. The best solution would probably be the creation of a dedicated forum (I'm sure that's not a problem) for the awards. With two months before the awarding people can start make proposals for each category (there should be a thread for each). One month before, the proposals end and the nominees (5 to 10 for each category) are finally set. For each category, there should be a new thread with a poll that allows us to vote for the winner. Vote results should be kept hidden until the voting ends and the winners are made public.

The winners must provide an acceptance speach (of course anyone is free to decline the award).

I'm looking forward for your opinions on this.

Thank you.
    Last edited by cilu; July 14th, 2005 at 06:18 AM.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: CG Forum Awards

Cool. Sth like the Oscar awards. A Razzie awards forum could also be created for most boring thread (or maybe worst answer).
    Theodore
    Personal Web Page (some audio segmentation tools): www.di.uoa.gr/~tyiannak

Thumbs up Re: CG Forum Awards

Good idea (if Admin accepts it!)

That's a pretty interesting idea. I wonder how well the variations on "best thread" and "best post" would work out, though. How many people will see a category like that and think, "Oh, there was a really good explanation of [topic] about nine months ago..." It seems that categories of that nature would be heavily skewed towards recent goings-on, with many would-be contenders forgotten. Don't get me wrong -- this objection certainly isn't a reason to throw the idea away, as I think it's a good one. I'm just curious as to whether you have any thoughts on this.

I think it's a great idea Cilu.

I also like yiannakops idea, although it could be difficult to pick a "winner"

Quote Originally Posted by Smasher/Devourer
    That's a pretty interesting idea. I wonder how well the variations on "best thread" and "best post" would work out, though. How many people will see a category like that and think, "Oh, there was a really good explanation of [topic] about nine months ago..." It seems that categories of that nature would be heavily skewed towards recent goings-on, with many would-be contenders forgotten. Don't get me wrong -- this objection certainly isn't a reason to throw the idea away, as I think it's a good one. I'm just curious as to whether you have any thoughts on this.
    You're probably right. At least in part. Most recent threads will take the glory. But not necessary. For instance I remember 2 threads with some very interesting debates (one of which I would definitelly vote for the best), that happened months ago. And perhaps like me there are other people that remember a thread with really great explanations or debate a while ago.

Anyway, all categories are opened for debate. Only that I believe we should not exced 15, because we should keep it to a manageable level.

I also like yiannakops idea, although it could be difficult to pick a "winner"
    Similar categories came to my mind too (not this one though). Then I thought we should keep this as a "best of" and not mix it with "worst of". Besides I don't want anyone to feel offended by winning the award for "worst thread", or "worst post" or "most boring thread".

At some point I thought of "best off-topic reply" award. And then I realize that's not a good idea since it can determine people to post creazy/funny/i-don't-know-what off-topic messages just to win the annual award for "best off-topic reply". And besides, off-topic messages, thought a vivid reality, are prohibited by the Acceptable Use Policy.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

where Eurasian, Pacific and Philippine tectonic plates meet

Shouldn't be there also the "Best article" ?
    "Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life." (imdb quotes)
    A bit of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercantilum
    Shouldn't be there also the "Best article" ?
    My proposal was for CG Forum Awards. Articles are not part of the forum.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Thats a good one Cilu..
    This will definetly encourage people to contribute more to CG Forums..

I would nominate this thread for
    best feedback proposal (best proposal for site improvement suggested in the feedback forum)

//I think moderators should nominate the threads and posts.. What do u think abt that?

Quote Originally Posted by vb_the_best
    //I think moderators should nominate the threads and posts.. What do u think abt that?
    Actually I was thinking of a "comitee" for the awards, a group of some people (not just moderators), that should take care of threads creation, and finalizing the list of 5 - 10 nominees. But anyone should be free to make proposals.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Actually I was thinking of a "comitee" for the awards, a group of some people (not just moderators), that should take care of threads creation, and finalizing the list of 5 - 10 nominees. But anyone should be free to make proposals.
    That sounds much better!!
    I think we should start it ASAP..

//Mods & Admins-- Your comments please

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"

No comments yet! We should wait for the superiors to take the first step.

But yeh, who will be the JURY
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

where Eurasian, Pacific and Philippine tectonic plates meet

By the way, for those who don't know where is this Location: 55°50' N 37°39' E, it's here ...
    Amazing the number of people using LL as a geographical reference
    "Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life." (imdb quotes)
    A bit of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercantilum
    By the way, for those who don't know where is this Location: 55°50' N 37°39' E, it's here ...
    Amazing the number of people using LL as a geographical reference
    Please do not hijack the thread with way off-topic replies. Thank you.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Idea greate but, have you seen how huge number of threads and posts. I don`t talk about Boring thread or smth like that they are really huge, and about everything else greate, but what sites administration thinks about that? Anyway I like your idea
    God could improve essentially a
    human nature, but he
    was too anxious with compatibility
    with the monkey.
    (Eugeny Goldberg)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast