CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Windows XP or WIndows 98? quick question

I am writting a program that will run on both Windows 98 and Windows XP. I am writting and compiling it on Windows XP Visual Studio 6.0. Does it matter to the Windows 98 machine if I compile The program on Windows XP?

Re: Windows XP or WIndows 98? quick question

no its not matter at all, just make sure you are not using API functions that doesnt have support in win 98.

Cheers
    If a post helped you dont forget to "Rate This Post"

My Article: Capturing Windows Regardless of Their Z-Order

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by senkyoshi
    I am writting a program that will run on both Windows 98 and Windows XP. I am writting and compiling it on Windows XP Visual Studio 6.0. Does it matter to the Windows 98 machine if I compile The program on Windows XP?
    In manny cases doasen't matter, but are functionalities that only on Windows XP are work!
    Depends what you are trying to do!

Thumbs up Re: Windows XP or WIndows 98? quick question

Thanks for your answers Folks! I am trying to use only functions that are compatible for both.

you might want to test that baby out because you could definitely have some issues here.

I mean if you dynamically linked your program to MFC the 98 dlls might be missing or different than the XP ones.. And you can't just deploy the MFC dlls with your app cause the underlying OS dlls which MFC relys on could be different......

You could definitely have problems. Rather than ask a bunch of geeks, and I use that term affectionately, who are wave their hands and give you a theoretical answer, a better solution would be to take the 10 minutes to copy the file over and check it out for yourself.

Chances are you will be fine. Wouldn't supprise me if you had to toy around with some Microsoft deployment dialogs depending on if your app is a windows app or a consol app and whether your MFC library was statically linked or dynamically linked...

but that's just me, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.

Hey fellow Geek. I was planning on testing it before I gave it to the user. Just checking if anyone ever had any issues with doing this. Thanks for your input.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by senkyoshi
    Hey fellow Geek. I was planning on testing it before I gave it to the user. Just checking if anyone ever had any issues with doing this. Thanks for your input.
    It's really not too hard to get it to run on both platforms. Just don't use any api's not available on Win98, create an install program to install your dependent [MFC and/or other] dll's, and test on both platforms.

Arjay

Ah so you were just asking in case there were any mentally sensitive phsycic types in the audience who could decern from your original posts if your application was a consol app or a windows app, and if so which controls, com, odbc, active x, or dao interfaces you used so you'd recieve a meaningful answer.

Just in case such a guy existed out here in the cyber world so you could save the 30 minutes to 10 seconds it will take you to check it out for youself.. Gotcha..

I don't want you to feel bad with my terse responce. I'm just amusing myself with the genre of 50's detective novels..

Sorry, I've never read any 50's detective novels. Do you suggest any?
    I asked my question because I needed to give an answer to a superior (manager) if we would need to maintain two copies of the same software, one for each OS. This was a decision that needed to be made before coding started on the project. You know "Design Plan" stuff and all that. Thanks for your answer again. It helped

Seriously though, I do like to read so if you do know of any good 50's detective novels let me know. I like to read. Right now I am in the middle of "Beasts of Tarzan". Third in the series of the old Tarzan book. Pretty good.